Downlight Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm going to be installing down lights and would appreciate some advice.

My current set-up is as follows -

One 2 gang switch controls 2 ceiling roses, each one has 3 spot lights which can be switched on and off by the 2 switches. So, half the room is lit or all is lit.

I propose to take each rose postion and install 4 downlights in it's place. which are still controlled by the 2 gang switch. retaining the half and half lighting ability.

Can someone help me out with understanding the wiring mods that will be required, my understanding is as follows -

Take the rose postion and place wires into wago box, from this box daisy chain the 4 downlights. The switch will still function as normal and control the 4 downlights instead of the rose - correct?

Sponsored Links
Can someone help me out with understanding the wiring mods that will be required, my understanding is as follows -

Take the rose postion and place wires into wago box, from this box daisy chain the 4 downlights. The switch will still function as normal and control the 4 downlights instead of the rose - correct?
It will depend how the current ceilings roses are wired. Assuming they are the traditional ceiling rose with banks of Live, Neutral, Earth and switch live.
And they haven't already been converted to reflect your current type of lighting for example like this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose
The important thing is to make a sketch or photograph the existing arrangement before you start work. You must understand what each set of conductors does i.e. which ones are the neutral cables which one is the switch live - they might be the same colour!! And mark them accordingly.
After making sure the circuit is dead you need connect the terminals (in the junction or wago type box) in exactly the same way as they are currently wired and run new cables from the 'ceiling rose' to the first down light - using brown for switch live, blue for neutral and green/yellow sleeving for the earth - then from the first light to the second light using the same colours and so on.

I'm trying figure out how my current lights are wired without taking anything apart.

Switch on wall 2 gang, 2 light fittings in ceiling each controlled by the 2 switches independently.

How would this be done - separately surely, or am I missing something?

By separately I mean the wires in switch 1 go to fitting 1 an nothing more and switch 2 goes to fitting 2 and nothing more.

I'm trying figure out how my current lights are wired without taking anything apart.
Get the x-ray specs out then!
Switch on wall 2 gang, 2 light fittings in ceiling each controlled by the 2 switches independently.
By separately I mean the wires in switch 1 go to fitting 1 an nothing more and switch 2 goes to fitting 2 and nothing more.
It could be that the com/perm live is shared/linked or could be one is supplied for each. There will be a switch live from each gang to each bank of lights.
There is also a possibility that a neutral is also at the switch, this could also be shared between the two banks of lights but could be two different circuits, cannot really tell you from the information given.

But please be aware what you are dealing with can be dangerous, if the task is not installed safely! There is more to it than wago connection between lamps!
You need to comply to part P, you need to comply to other building regs such as A, B, C and L. BS7671 would state that the installation is inspected, tested and a certificate issued.

Without sounding harsh, your post show evidence that the above is not within you knowledge base.

Sponsored Links
More than likely separate switch wires but could also have used a 3 core, why not unscrew the ceiling rose and have a look?

why not unscrew the ceiling rose and have a look?
The OP has set themselves a task of identifying the configuration, without having to take anything apart! :confused:
I hope you are going to recommend that the circuit is isolated prior to removing any covers, then with covers off, it is proved dead using approved test equipment? or shall I?
Oh I think I just have ;)

Get the x-ray specs out then!
It could be that the com/perm live is shared/linked or could be one is supplied for each. There will be a switch live from each gang to each bank of lights.
There is also a possibility that a neutral is also at the switch, this could also be shared between the two banks of lights but could be two different circuits, cannot really tell you from the information given.

But please be aware what you are dealing with can be dangerous, if the task is not installed safely! There is more to it than wago connection between lamps!
You need to comply to part P, you need to comply to other building regs such as A, B, C and L. BS7671 would state that the installation is inspected, tested and a certificate issued.

Without sounding harsh, your post show evidence that the above is not within you knowledge base.

You're quite right but I generally find that I can do most things after researching them. I had similar response when asking how to fix up an outside light but figured it out in the end and nothing went wrong (yet).

why not unscrew the ceiling rose and have a look?
The OP has set themselves a task of identifying the configuration, without having to take anything apart! :confused:
I hope you are going to recommend that the circuit is isolated prior to removing any covers, then with covers off, it is proved dead using approved test equipment? or shall I?
Oh I think I just have ;)

Haha I was planning on taking everything apart with the power on till you said. ;)

You're quite right but I generally find that I can do most things after researching them.
So what research have you done regarding to complying to the relevant building regs and the procedures required to produce certificates and relevant schedules and document the information and what are your understanding of this results?
I had similar response when asking how to fix up an outside light but figured it out in the end and nothing went wrong (yet).
So you ignore informed advice then? I am only concerned about the safety of the people and animals that will be affected by your work.
I know a guy just like you, his bathroom is currently a sooty colour!
Lucky the young girl having the shower had more wits about her than the retarded Father!

You're quite right but I generally find that I can do most things after researching them.
So what research have you done regarding to complying to the relevant building regs and the procedures required to produce certificates and relevant schedules and document the information and what are your understanding of this results?
I had similar response when asking how to fix up an outside light but figured it out in the end and nothing went wrong (yet).
So you ignore informed advice then? I am only concerned about the safety of the people and animals that will be affected by your work.
I know a guy just like you, his bathroom is currently a sooty colour!
Lucky the young girl having the shower had more wits about her than the retarded Father!

Well I'm not retarded so I need not worry. Also, I have no animals so it's all good there too. I think my neighbour has a ****** dog though, should I warn him not to let it in the shower? I'm confused, do dogs catch fire if you get them wet or do ******* spontaneously combust when showering dogs?

Do the regs clarify this?

I think my neighbour has a ****** dog though, should I warn him not to let it in the shower?
No warn him not to allow the dog to do any electrical work or not to shower if the installer was a ****** themselves. Any sane person would know that :!:
I'm confused, do dogs catch fire if you get them wet or do ******* spontaneously combust when showering dogs?
Why is this relevant?
Do the regs clarify this?
The wiring regulation do not cover spontaneous combustion, regardless of location or mental health. I thought any sane person would also know that :!:
You can talk to these, they may have a better insight than I, into the reasoning behind your question. I think you need to or someone on your behalf does!
http://www.mind.org.uk/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back