Downlight problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We have an issue with our recessed downlights (mr16 halogen 12v). In our living room we have a false ceiling, in which the all fittings etc are (We bought the house 6 months ago).

There are 6 lights, 2 by 3.

1 2
3 4
5 6

Numbers 2 and 5 have recently gone out. Number 2 worked intermittently and now it won't light at all. Replacing the bulbs has not worked.

So now I'm making assumptions about faulty connectors, transformers or the connections to the dimming switch itself.

Any advice as to what it could be going on and what I could check?

Sponsored Links
some transformers don't like being dimmed, and some only work with specific types of dimmer..
whip the transformers down and do us a photo of them and the back of the dimmer switch ( clear pictures so we can read the writing, or put the details of what it says in the post.. )

I'll have to locate transformers but yes, I'll do it this evening after work.

As coljack has said, its probably the transformers.

Pull the fitting away from the ceiling and pull the cable through and the transformer will probably be there.

Sponsored Links
Also make sure that the fittings and transformers aren't surrounded by insulation, as this is an almost guaranteed way to cause premature failure.

Before replacing transformers you could check the connector block between the transformer and the lampholder. Inspect the lampholder as well. Both can have a tendency of burning out if they are cheap and nasty/not fitted well.

When putting lights back in ceiling ensure they are not touching cables, transformer, insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back