downlight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok got a ? for someone....i have 6 x 50watt downlight's in my kitchen ceiling...

there all running 50watts each.....? could i fit a dimmer switch and if so would they use less lecky on dim then on full power.

cheers for any info

Sponsored Links
What voltage 12v or 240?

They will not use much less power when dimmed

i fit a dimmer switch and if so would they use less lecky on dim then on full power.

Yes they will use less power if you dim them.

however they will not use that much less.

say a lamp is on at 50% of its normal brightness, logic suggests it will use 50% of power.

Unfortunatley physics says its more like 75% of the power.

so although by using a dimmer you do use less energy, its not as much less as you would think
Also Halogen lamps will last much longer if not dimmed because they rely on the high heat to re deposit atoms back on the filament

You could try CFL replacement lamps for the fittings to save tizzy, or consider running the lights from two or three different switches to give as much or as little light as you want.

Sponsored Links
Try using LED lamps. I have 18led lamps in several places and they use only 2 watts. There are 36led versions which would probably be a lot brighter at about 4watts. I use normal fluourescent tube in the kitchen for general use and a couple of led downlights if your just making a drink or microwaving dinner.

Replacing 50W halogen lamps with their LED counterpart?

You might as well just put a blindfold on

Sorry to say RF that you have missed the point. I did not say that LEDlamps were equivalent to 50watt, the OP wanted to DIM the 50 watt, I suggested that LEDlamps would provide more savings than dimmed 50watt. As I said, I use a bright light for normal work and LED just for boiling a kettle. The OP could replace 3x50watt with 35watt in places needing bright light and 3 LED in the others. 300watts down to 112. I find that the modern high brightness LEDs are more than adequate in a lot of places amd much cheaper to run than low energy lamps. They are also getting better all the time and personally I think that they are the way forward.

What voltage 12v or 240?

They will not use much less power when dimmed

soz mate by the way there 6 x 240v down lights.....

a friend of mine has them all over his house in i think every room..he was onabout how much lecky they use..i told him that i got 6 in me kitchen and that i was going to fit a dimmer so i could have them on dim and then they would use lest lecky then haveing them on full all the time...

he told me that they would still use the same as having them on full...

i carnt see it me.

cheers for the info ill let me mate know as well

thanks

a friend of mine has them all over his house in i think every room..he was onabout how much lecky they use
That's because they are so ******* useless. The only way to fix the problem is to remove them, make good the ceiling, and install lighting which is not ******* useless.

..i told him that i got 6 in me kitchen and that i was going to fit a dimmer so i could have them on dim and then they would use lest lecky then haveing them on full all the time...

he told me that they would still use the same as having them on full...
They won't use the same, but they won't use a great deal less.

cheers for the info ill let me mate know as well
Dimming might make them easier on the eye, but won't make them significantly easier on the wallet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back