too many spotlights ?? + humming dimmer switches ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
considering installing downlights 8of 50watts, dimmable.
but am bit concerned after reading some of the posts re: dimmer switches making humming noise.

also want to run four of these lights through one dimmer and the other 4 through an other.

my room size is 4m * 3.5m.
is this possibly too many 50 watts lights??

if so are there any downlights on the market that are 20 watt and comaptible with dimmer switch

cheers

Sponsored Links
down lights do just that.

they make a cone of light that points down, why put in so many then dim them, i have never understood that one.

I would suggest you change your light fitting to one which has directional lights.

except for the hall, bathroom and main bedroom that is what we have

missus has decided on downlighters as her friend has them and have to admit looks real nice, want to have the option of having a nice cosy dim lit room and having the room bright thats all.

Something you should know about:

Halogen lights have a special cycle. When they run at their optimum temperature (several hundred deg C, at full brightness) the tungsten on the filament burns off. The extreme temperature inside the quartz capsule causes the halogen gas to do something special. It replaces the tungsten back on the filament.

If the lamp is not hot enough (by dimming) the tungsten will be deposited on the quartz capsule instead, causing a blackening effect, and reducing the life of the lamps.

Sponsored Links
50W halogens are pretty bright and will get very hot. I have some 20W ones at home and they seem plenty bright to me. Furthermore the latest designs reflect the IR forward instead of backwards so that they are even brighter (at least that what the manufacturers say). I suggest you try some for yourself before you commit to a design. You might find that 8x20W is enough or maybe 12x20W, plus you can get other power ratings too.

Something you should know about:

Halogen lights have a special cycle. When they run at their optimum temperature (several hundred deg C, at full brightness) the tungsten on the filament burns off. The extreme temperature inside the quartz capsule causes the halogen gas to do something special. It replaces the tungsten back on the filament.

If the lamp is not hot enough (by dimming) the tungsten will be deposited on the quartz capsule instead, causing a blackening effect, and reducing the life of the lamps.

Thanks for that info. I'm been wondering why the downlighters I have on dimmer don't last as long as I would expect. (I bought the house like it).

TBH, with 9 in the room, at 50w each (two circuits, 4 and 5), its a bit on the bright side unless you use dimmers, or just turn one circuit on. Still, two blown at the moment, and I havent bothered to replace them in a month....

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back