downlights on dimmer flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just finished installing 9 ceiling mains downlights in my kitchen. The wife thought they were too bright and suggested a dimmer switch. Fitted that today but the lights din OK to start with but after a period of time the dimmer fails to work? The lights just stay the same brightness when the dimmer is turned back and fore. Any ideas?

I have 9 50watt halogen downlights running off a 250watt dimmer - I suspect this is the problem but I cannot find a dimmer capable of handling 450watt. Can someone give me advice??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You're right to suspect a 250w dimmer isn't suitable for a 450w load!

How about putting smaller lamps in?

Yep, I spotted it when I read through again, can you use smaller lamps?

Sponsored Links
Obviously smaller lamps would be the solution but I would like to run these off a dimmer if possible. Can I get a dimmer switch rated upto 450watt because I can't find one?

Also, I noticed that one of the bulbs in the set up is alot brighter than the others - is there a reason for this? It is the same wattage as the rest

They should all be the same brightness unless you have a faulty lamp or the wiring isn't correct, try swopping it for another one and see what happens.
Mikeyd pointed to a 500w dimmer above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back