3 Gang 2 Way Dimmers on mains downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to replace the upstairs lights (currently 2 wall lights, 1 central light) all controlled by a 3 gang 2 way switch (the third switch turns on/off the hall light downstairs) with new dimmer switches and mains halogens downlighters
I plan to have 5x 35w or (20w) downlights replacing the central light, the 2 wall lights switch, also controlled from downstairs replaced and leave the third switch as is but replace with a dimmer (unless any one knows of a switch containing 2 dimmers and a regular switch?)
questions are: 1. Is it safe/ok to have dimmers on one side of a 2-way light set up and are 5 x35w acceptable?. 2. At Present all the lights are looped in, do I simply replace the ceiling rose with a new junction box and run tails to the downlight.? (I plan to add a standard screwfix 20A junction box per downlight).
Any help would be useful and greatly received

Sponsored Links
you cant have ordainairy dimmers at both ends of 2 way switching it doesnt work

where are the halogens?

I personaly do not like dimming them, have more lights yes, but also more swithces to turn more on or off.

with dimmers what if you leave it at say really dim, switch it off and next time really dim is too dim, you have to go to the other switch and turn it up.

Good shout, hadn't thought of that one. The idea was to ulitilise the existing wiring (the upstairs switch) and to replace this 3 gang switch with the 3 gang dimmer so the dimmer is just upstairs, but as you mentioned why do I need a dimmer on all three sets, I guess I could use a single 2 way dimmer for the wall lights and a 2 gang switch for the others. (Just looks cleaner when there are all on one switch.)

The halogens are (will be) the ceiling downlights.

As for the wiring using 20A junction boxes, is this ok?

Many thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back