Downlighter circuit advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My spare bedroom downlighters (4) tripped the fuse for the floor. When the fuse was reset all other rooms lights worked but the bedroom remains in darkness. I have chased back to all 4 transformers and replaced 2, one was showing signs of overheating and the second carried the main circuit wiring. No joy, any advice on what the problem could be. I've al;so checked the dimmer switch and all OK. Could it be anything to do with a junction box fault?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the dimmer switch is OK? Replace it with an ordinary on/off switch to double check. Have you got a meter to check that power is getting as far as the spare room lights? If it's not, go to the light fitting on the circuit BEFORE the spare room and check the loop-in-loop-out wires - this could be where the break has occurred.

pj

You could also disconnect all 4 downlights and then connect one by one starting at the first light from the switch. That will help you isolate the fault. Overheating is not a good sign. Remove any insulation around the lights and make sure you have fire hoods on each light unless they are Fire Rated.

Quick update. Meter tests on the switch were positive but no readings at the downlighters. I guess the next step is to check the loop in/out. Thanks for the advice, very useful and helpful. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Hi,

It really depends on your setup. If the wiring is looped at the switch and the lights are daisy chained there could be a fault between the switch and the first light. Identifying the first light in the circuit is probably the tricky part.

On the other hand if the lights are looped through a junction box in the ceiling, that would be the place to start.

At this stage though I would advise calling in a qualified electrician as testing live circuits obviously carries risks.

Hope that helps, keep us posted.

Let there be light! After several, very careful, tests I have got the lights burning brightly again. I removed the dimmer switch and fitted a rocker which provided the right results. Job done. Thanks to all who offered sound advice and consideration. This forum has been extremely useful and something that I will probably use as my default tool for any future problems..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back