Downlighter "F Mark"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the "F Mark" showing that a downlighter can be mounted in a normally flammable surface still a current standard?

Looking at something like a JCC JC94110 IP65 fire rated fitting the manual doesnt seem to show the F Mark at all where as I'm sure the old version of the fitting did.

I've got a broken fitting in a upvc soffit board that I need to replace so I assume that even though an LED bulb would be used I'd need the unit to be correctly rated for flammable surfaces?

Sponsored Links
The letters "F" or "M" in an inverted triangle are symbols of fire protection. They provide information concerning how strongly the heating of a lamp is reduced and on which fire-resistant materials it can be installed. For lamps with these markings, the mounting instructions must be adhered to.

As there is nothing in the instructions you will have to presume it does not apply.

Fire-rated just means it has intumescent material to seal the fitting in the event of a house fire.

Well after a little digging I found that that F mark was depricated some years ago.

I found a JCC document that stated:
"F Mark

The F mark symbol is no longer required but will not be fully out of circulation until April 2012.

Luminaires that transfer heat higher than 90° now require a special symbol, however all JCC products are below this threshold and are suitable for most normal applications."

Didn't know that - about the F, but

again, this is nothing to do with being fire-rated, which in a single occupancy building you do not have to have - other than possibly in an integral garage.

Sponsored Links
Yeah as per my original post I'm not interested in fire rated, I'm interested in mounting in flammable material so the JC94110 should be fine for my application.

Didn't know that - about the F, but

again, this is nothing to do with being fire-rated, which in a single occupancy building you do not have to have - other than possibly in an integral garage.

I don't think he mentioned anything about wanting a fire rated downlight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back