Downlighters near flammable surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Carrying out a PIR today I came across these downlighters fitted to multiple rooms upstairs. The loft is boarded with chipboard which has holes bashed out above some of the downlighters. Other downlighters have chipboard flooring covering them completely.

30092008441.jpg

Notice the F symbol, this means the luminaire is suitable for direct mounting on normally flammable surfaces.

F.jpg

What doesn't seem right to me is an open backed fitting with a 50W lamp creating an excessive amount of heat. How can these be rated for direct mounting on flammable surfaces?

Sponsored Links
There is a difference in some of the reflectors - some of them cause the heat to radiate down away from the fitting (aluminised.)
Clicky

How can you guarantee that the correct lamp will be fitted at future lamp changes thus avoiding a potential fire?

The dichloric lamp base will accept dichloric and aluminised lamps, and aluminised lamp base will only accept an aluminised lamp. See page 3 of the clicky above^^

Sponsored Links
I'll have a read. Thanks for the link.
There was an awful lot of heat being generated from these fittings. The chipboard flooring was nice and warm!

I have been in wholesalers, and they have sold normal open fittings , and

just given either a gu 10 holder or a 12volt holder, to the buyer for the same fitting.

no mention of heat from lamps or anything to the customer.

I agree its wrong though, see this, this week.

These were open fittings.

The wire was so short with the lamp fitted, the j/b was resting on the side

of the lamp, about 80 fittings are similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back