'Normally flammable' surfaces

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ready to be shot down in flames again.

Was at a DIY shop the other day, and decided it would be nice to replace the lights in the bathroom. Checked that the light fitting selected was suitable for the position, it was over 1m away from the shower cubicle in the ceiling, so 'safe zone 3' was not even required.

Inside the box however, it was noted on the instructions (which I guess many people don't read):

Not suitable for direct fitting to a normally flammable surface

So I tried the advice line on the packet. After 5 days and no response at any of the times I tried, I went back to the DIY store, and their 'experts'.
No-one was able to quantify what a normally flammable surface is.

I returned the product.

Now, I think that most residential properties have either chipboard or plasterboard in most rooms. I would consider these to be flammable, at least, if you held a lighter or heat source to them, they could catch fire.
As my ceiling was chipboard, with a paper covering, I certainly believe that this was not suitable.
I think that the warning should have been made visible on the outside of the packaging.
(in the end, I have opted for an 'energy saving fitting', which states it is suitable for a normally flammable surface, but unfortunately does not support dimming).
Could someone define what a normally flammable surface is? I tried to find online some information, but to no avail.
Thanks,
Gareth

Sponsored Links
On products like this, there is usually an "F" inside an inverted triangle. If that "F" has a cross through it, it is not suitable for mounting on flammable surfaces. If it hasn't, it is.

Plasterboard is used to give 30 minutes fire protection, so I would say it is not flammable.

But chipboard is. Are you sure your ceiling is chipboard?

Or do you mean your ceiling is covered in woodchip wallpaper?

Sponsored Links
so a sheet of plasterboard is flammible?
I thought so, powerdery substance, encased often in a paper outer. I thought it would catch fire if a heat source is held to it. To the same extent as a piece of pine anyway.

But chipboard is. Are you sure your ceiling is chipboard?

Or do you mean your ceiling is covered in woodchip wallpaper?

Without physically snapping a piece of the ceiling to check, it would appear to be made of either MDF or chipboard. From the outside, it appears to be the same make-up as the 2'x5' chipboard panels used as floorboards for the room above it (which I have taken up). However, when I just chiped a small lump out, (from the floor above) it appears higher density like MDF.

On the ceiling side, it is wall-papered, which is peeling off (being a bathroom, I wonder why?) leaving areas of the wood exposed.

There was that symbol on the internal packaging of the light fitting (with a cross through it), there was no similar marking on the outside.
Thanks for the clarification,
Gareth

You need "BS 476-7:1997 Fire tests on building materials and structures. Method of test to determine the classification of the surface spread of flame of products"

A snip at £80.00 from BSI :D

Or free from your local library if you can log in to BSOL via it :D

Or free from your local library if you can log in to BSOL via it :D
Local library is a van which comes around once a week, so I don't think so somehow!
Thanks for the suggestion though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back