Kitchen lighting suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 4mx3m kitchen - normal ceiling height, work surfaces down either side, cooker one side (with extractor and light), sink the other, with Windows running most of the way down the sink side...

I currently have two normal fixed bayonet light fittings (no shades) about 1m in from either end of the ceiling. These have been here since we moved in years ago, and currently have a couple of energy saver lights in (100W equvalents).

Basically, we always intended to replace these light fittings with something giving out both a better light for cooking etc. and that, ehh, well just looked better. But with what? I'd prefer one or two normal fluorescent tubes with modern-ish diffusers, but my partner doesn't like them. I, on the otherhand, don't really like those halogen "spot" fittings with 4 lights/fitting that she likes, as I find the light too directional/specific (and I'd also prefer something a bit more economical).

What are our other options here for good kitchen ceiling lighting?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the chance for us menials to peruse your most esteemed enquiry.

Now off sod until you have learnt some manners.

Regards

Ehh...I'm guessing you were replying to a different post? Either that or you're reading something into this that wasn't intended :eek: .

There are some very sexy 2D fittings out there, do a Google for "low energy light fittings"

http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=27724

IMO, thats quite nice, and would give a nice even light, but its expensive, at £100!

By the way, you can get low energy GU10 lamps now. These fit any GU10 holder, where a halogen spot would normally go, but they give a much wider, better, light for working under. :)

Here's some: http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/product.asp?productid=33311

I hear you can also get dimmable ones.

Sponsored Links
Ahhh..thanks Steve, that's really useful - on both counts. Basically I'd discounted low energy GU10s as all being LED (and therefore, I would guess, poor for kitchen lighting?). So, I guess there's a compromise option there I didn't know about... I also like that first one in the link with the low energy lamps - although, as you say, that ones a bit pricey :D - I'll have a Google about...[/b]

Whos Chris? :LOL:

I think online suppliers will be your best source of low energy fittings. Last time I was in B&Q they still had a vast selection of wasteful halogen fittings, and a little corner for the tree huggers. :LOL:

(Though they had fitted most of their display fittings with LEDs, which I thought was a nice gesture)

Whos Chris? :LOL:

Ooops - read a post elsewhere from Chris before and got my names mixed up. Original post edited to be more Steve-like :)

I think online suppliers will be your best source of low energy fittings. Last time I was in B&Q they still had a vast selection of wasteful halogen fittings, and a little corner for the tree huggers. :LOL:

(Though they had fitted most of their display fittings with LEDs, which I thought was a nice gesture)

Had a look in B&Q yesterday and didn't see much...but I was mostly looking for a bathroom fitting at the time, and I was discounting anything based on GU10s/focussing on fittings that might take a full size energy saving bulb for the kitchen. But now I know better :D .

The other thing that can look nice in a kitchen, is under cupboard lights, they are also quite low energy being small tubes. But don't buy them from B&Q as Argos are 25% cheaper.

The other thing that can look nice in a kitchen, is under cupboard lights, they are also quite low energy being small tubes. But don't buy them from B&Q as Argos are 25% cheaper.

The small fluro undercupboard lights are good to use for undercupboard lighting, as they are good at giving out a good spread of light over the worktop, to use as task lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back