Bulb suggestions for glass shade ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Following advice received from v helpful forum members on another post, I have installed a ceiling light which uses a bulb inside an opal glass shade (example pic below). Currently has a small 60W bulb in there which doesn’t generate enough light. Was looking at getting a varilight dimmable energy saver (20w = 100w) bulb, but at 59mm this is too wide for the opening of the shade (50mm). Because the ceiling light supposedly takes max 60w, I need something that is an energy saver. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could use? If it helps, the dimmable aspect is not a necessity (although would be a nice feature to retain).

And on the dimmable note – if I have a dimmer switch and use a non dimmable bulb, will that work (and just not dim) or will the bulb blow – i.e. would I have to change the switch?

Lots of questions here so any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
energy savers don't like dimmers and will flash or not light at all if they are noe dimmable..
so yes you'll need to lose the dimmer..

Do a search on google for Megaman, they do all sorts of dimmerable low energy lamps

and ref

if I have a dimmer switch and use a non dimmable bulb, will that work (and just not dim) or will the bulb blow – i.e. would I have to change the switch?

You may scrog the lamp, more probably you'll ding the dimmer.
It's not even worth a try.

Sponsored Links
Do a search on google for Megaman, they do all sorts of dimmerable low energy lamps

and ref

if I have a dimmer switch and use a non dimmable bulb, will that work (and just not dim) or will the bulb blow – i.e. would I have to change the switch?

You may scrog the lamp, more probably you'll ding the dimmer.
It's not even worth a try.

Megaman look to have a good selection, will check that out in detail - thanks!

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/Energy_Saving_Lamps_Index/Lamps_Energy_2a/index.html

Are 50mm wide....

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LALEC11BC.html

Are 43mm wide, but max is 11w non dim

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LAHCA42ESCL.html

Are halo dim ok but onlt 30% es rated= they are 35mm wide

Thanks for suggestions - but have brought more questions!

Re link 1 – could well work, but may be a little long for the glass shade. If the max recommended wattage is 60w for the light, will using a larger bulb (that is closer to the glass of the shade) risk getting too hot and shattering the glass? Does a 20w = 100w low energy bulb generate the same heat as a standard 20w bulb? Can I use a 70w = 100w bulb for that fitting?

And as for halogen bulbs – I thought these generated much more heat than standard bulbs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back