Energy saver light bulb in a round light fitting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does it says on the box when buying a round light fitting - I got to have 60w light bulb or a 14w energy saver bulb? Whats the different in that? I know the 60w will gets hot? Is it safe to use a 20w enery saver bulb in a round type fitting?

Sponsored Links
I think they have simply accepted that if you wanted a 60W bulb, then the lighting equvalent is 14W ( because that's what the bulb manufacturers say ) and recommend that as an alternative.

I would have no inhibitions about using common-sense and putting in the 20W if you wish.

Sponsored Links
the 60W rating is the amount of heat that the fitting can take without overheating.

CFLs are far more efficient than the old filament bulbs, so you can get as much light from a 15W or so CFL as from a 60W filament. A 20W CFL will give more light, but only about a third as much heat, as a 60W filament bulb, so will not overheat the fitting. You can use that, and the fitting will also last longer because it does not get so hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back