Philips Energy Saver Light Bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know that enery saving light bulbs are not suitable for dimming but on the Philips ones I have bought it states that (not suitable for dimming and electronic switches), I know that on some outside lights the light sensors are built into the light and tend to flicker whist switching, turning on and off as night time/dawn arrives and understand that these type of light bulbs may not be suitable, but I have upgraded from these, and the electronic switches that I have are of this type http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLPS40.html

Will this type of energy saver light bulb be suitable to this type of photocell/electronic switch!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
IIRC they contain a relay, so yes, but I am not certain of that particular model as there is no technical data.

I bet its not suitable, i bet there is no relay in that photo cell

Hi,

What would be the reason that a Photocell would be unusable for the energy saving bulbs? I know it seems to be that you need it to contain a relay, but can anyone explain why?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Some photocells such as the zodion type you see on top of street lamps etc contain a relay which physically switches the power. (just like a light switch does)

Some of the magic eye type of photocells use a solid state switching device which allows power to flow through it when the desired lux level is reached, but does not actually physically switch the supply, so this often causes CFL lamps to flicker all the time as there is a little bit of power which still flows through the photocell when it is 'off'.

This effect is not noticed on traditional type lamps.

RF Lighting said:
Some photocells such as the zodion type you see on top of street lamps etc contain a relay which physically switches the power. (just like a light switch does)

Some of the magic eye type of photocells use a solid state switching device which allows power to flow through it when the desired lux level is reached, but does not actually physically switch the supply, so this often causes CFL lamps to flicker all the time as there is a little bit of power which still flows through the photocell when it is 'off'.

This effect is not noticed on traditional type lamps.

Is this why normal bulbs outside don't seem to last long, I thought it was because of the outside temp changes!

Thanks for that, so what your saying is that I should be able to tell straight away if the photocell is not suitable as it would be visible, also would it also shorten the life of the CFL lamp

Thanks RF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back