Energy saving lightbulb question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My wife and son just bought a new lamp shade for his room, it has a 60W max.

I thought I'd have to buy a new 60W equivelent energy saving dimmable to replace his 100W equivelent energy saving dimmable. But it dawned on me it's a heat thing isn't it? I mean his bulb isn't 100W anyway. It's a lot less.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if a shade says 60W max it means that, not 60W equivelent max.

Is this right?

Sponsored Links
In theory an energy saving lamp that produces light equivalent to a 60 watt incandescent will generate a lot less heat than a 60 watt incandescent lamp so would be perfectly safe ( heat wise ) to use in a fitting with a 60 watt maximum.

In practice it doesn't always work.

The 60 watts of incandescent heat is produced at the filament and therefor not concentrated by the lamp holder. Much of it is dissapated to air by the hot glass bulb and thermal radiation.

The heat produced by the ballast of the energy saving lamp is concentrated in the electronic module close to the lamp holder.

The 9 watt (~45 watt) lamp in front of me has ventilation slots around the bayonet cap which suggests that [1] the electronics need air flow to cool and [2] when hung with cap at top the heat will go straight to the lamp holder. And this is a good quality lamp. !

Thanks guys.

Well, I've just found out my 100W equivelent is actually 72W so not as low as I'd hoped.

But I have now found a more expensive 20W (equivelent 100W) so I've bought that. It is supposed to be dimmable.

fingers crossed.

Thanks anyway :)

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the watts thing, that is soon to go away.

Our European masters have dictated that lamps are to be rated in Lumens, not Watts. So that should prevent any confusion :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the watts thing, that is soon to go away.

Our European masters have dictated that lamps are to be rated in Lumens, not Watts. So that should prevent any confusion :mrgreen:
About bleeding time.

No more crazy equivalent figures then?

Colin C

No - just a continuation of the craziness which says you may lamps like these:

LAH50GUF.JPG

but not like these:

LAGLS15BC.JPG

because the former have a higher lm/w, and therefore if we encourage people to use them to light up their rooms we'll reduce carbon emissions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back