Which recessed down-lights are suitable for wardrobe pelmet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed some fitted wardrobes and would like to have 3 or 4 down-lights recessed into the pelmet to shine downwards (and possibly in when the doors are slid open if I can get some adjustable ones).

They will be inserted into a 36mm thick (sandwich of 18mm thick chipboard and 18mm thick MDF) overhang projecting 90mm out from the doors.

I have concerns over the heat that can be produced by down-lights and the flammability of chipboard/mdf. Do I need furniture specific lighting or will normal downlights suffice?

So can anyone suggest which of the myriad of down-light types would be suitable for this application? I'm tempted to go for some small (up to 45mm diameter) directional lights if I can find the right type.

Sponsored Links
Any fitting, fitted with LED lamps, as they run cool.

If the doors swing very close to the overhang, you cannot fit adjustable fittings, as they project out from the surface when angled (though there are fittings where this doesnt apply, they are bigger).

My parents' wardrobe has lights, as you describe, and the doors pass very close to the lights, possibly close enough to burn them, but the hinges on most of the doors are such that they cannot be held in this position (recessed cabinet hinges). But one of the doors is a bi-fold door, which can be held, so this door is fitted with a door-switch to shut off the light above it.

Thanks Steve, they are sliding doors so no trouble there :)

Do the led lights need their own separate transformer? Know where I may be able to source directional ones from? (ignoring the rip-off high street DIY stores!)

Sponsored Links
ebay is good. I have bought from there before. Look for feedback. Often get packs of 10+ for not much more than 2 on the high street ;)

The LED lamps to avoid are those with an array of 20+ LEDs. The better ones have 3 large LEDs (though these are dearer) and make sure you get warm white - cool white is harsh.

LED lamps are available in 12v and 230v variants. I would go for 230V any day, there is less to go wrong as they wire straight into the mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back