Wardrobe lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick hello as it's my first post
00009148.gif

My partner has been a member of this site for a while now (Davey) - as we've recently moved in together, I thought I would join too :D

I'll get to my question in a minute, so <del>bare</del> <del>bear</del> stick with me while I set the scene :confused:

Davey has been building wardrobes, and a fine job he's done too, superb. We've now got on to the pelmet that goes along the top. He decided on building one that comes out from the ceiling, over the wardrobes with downlights underneath - wonderful I said :D

The wardrobe bit went fine, but I have a feeling we're now on new territory as I watched him plaster the pelmet :confused: (think 3 yr old decorating a chocolate cake, and you get the gist - plaster everywhere :eek: ). The pelmet is covered, unfortunately so is he, me, the bedroom, the landing carpet and the cat :eek:

He's now finished and soon to be fixing the lights..... This is where my question comes in!! We've got the normal halogen spotlights, which we're a bit unsure about (he doesn't want his magnificent work going up in flames :confused: ). My daughter has in her room 4 spotlights above her wardrobes (there when we moved in). The brilliant thing about these are that, if you leave the wardrobe door slightly open (ie directly under the spotlight), that light will cut off after a short while. It seems to be reset when you turn the lights off and back on again.

We've looked all over the place, but don't know what these lights are called, or where we can get them - would be grateful if anyone knows and can let me know.

Sponsored Links
Hi Baz :D

Thanks for your reply, and apologies for not explaining myself properly.

The wardrobe lights look like downlights. They switch on when you turn the main room light on. However, they seem to have a heat sensor or something like that, because which ever one is directly above the wardrobe door that is left ajar, will cut out. Then when you turn the lights off and back on again, the one that cut out resets itself and comes back on again.

I've just taken a couple of pics, not sure if they're any help? This one is all the lights....
lightsonlw4.jpg

And then I left the door open...
lightoffdf0.jpg

Actually, looking at that - the lights must be pretty thin :eek: The wood is only 'wardrobe thick', then the teddies are on top. So they must be like thin lights that recess into a plank of wood or something But there again, it's not necessary we get this style - any type will do, so long as they have that cut out facility

We could use normal downlights, but worried about the heat, especially if a door is left slightly ajar directly under the light, and it doesn't have that cut out facility.

I'm used to not being understood cos I don't explain properly - so if I've just done it again, then please say :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes, pictures please, preferably of you covered in plaster!

Oh that's a whole other story!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Think he's been watching a bit too much of DIY SOS, cos before he started, he started doing all that plaster flipping thing on the square board, looking at me all professional like....

Thing is, he spent so long flippin the plaster about, his arms were too knackered to plaster much!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Now i understand, the downlights (probably 12 volt) are supplied by a transformer/s that has a thermal cut out. When they get too hot, by leaving the door underneath, they cut out and self reset when they cool down. If you look on top of the wardrobe (and under the cuddly toys) you should see the transformer/s.

Sure theres not something like a metal plate on the top of each actual door operating a magnetic switch on top of each section,

or
check inside for some form of doorswitch.

They look like normal 10 watt under counter fittings from somewhere like wickes wired to normally/open contacts.

What make wardrobes , Name might be on the hinges plastic cover,the switches may be built in when made,is the pelmet with the lights in wood, or hollow artificial looky likey.

I've just had a look and there are 2 transformers up there!!!

Baz you're right - I've just discovered that you don't need to turn the light off and back on again for the light to reset - it came back on as I was studying the little bulbs inside - nearly gave me arc eye :eek:

The make of these wardrobes and fixings is MFI - but can you get these transformers anywhere? Not sure MFI sell just fittings or if you have to buy a whole bedroom - complete with rugs, curtains and novelty bins :confused:

The easiest thing would be if you can buy a lightset with the transformers already attached, if anyone knows if it's possible, and what they're called??

They are most likely just normal trans, they do have thermal cut out but that is only when the tran overheats or shorts out.

NORMAL trans can not sense the heat of the fitting

Covering the light by the door or anything will overheat the light but WILL NOT turn off the tran

I would say something else is wired into the circuit.

OR

As you say there is two trans for at least FOUR lights , If it went off how would the tran turn off one light on its own .
To do that you would need one for each light.

These lights are not brilliant, it may just be the holder in the light breaking down when it gets too hot with the door there. and coming back on when it cools.
This is not normal though

I would carefully cover the light temporary with something HEATPROOF to see if they go off to eliminate possible door switch.

Bespoke sometimes build in door switches, but mfi only if you pay a lot extra

Does this work with each door/light individually and same amount of time

Did you notice a sort of control box near the trans

Rocky's post is probably right, i've never been asked to fit anything like this so can't really advise but hopefully someone on the forum has and will reply soon.

Baz
No offence meant
Was not knocking your reply

I thought same at first, which would be the case most times , Ie false ceilings, hollow voids, etc.
What you say I have come across many many times.

As I do some work on wickes units ,these Enclosed Module lights usually have thin plug in leads to the tran about one meter away on top well away from the heat usually.
So did not think was cause this time.
They do usually come as a kit form but are unbranded and not too good.
Sort of cef Tamlite quality

Darn it, no mucky pics. Even so I will try to be helpful.

There are two transformers feeding 4 lights so you can forget about transformer thermal trip and stuff. If that were the case then TWO lights would go out, not one.

Maybe there's a switch or something so that the individual light goes out when a door is opened. this is may be done to stop the door catching fire if it is left open right under the light.

Need missy to have a good look all around one of the doors and look for push buttons. Or follow the wires from the lights to see where they go.

As an aside, the lights that you have are typical ones for kitchen cupboards. Like this http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22930...G4-Fixed-Under-Cabinet-Down-Light-Pack-Chrome
These are surface mounted but also and be recessed.

Do make sure your cuddly beavers or whatever dont get on top of the lights or they will get fried.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back