Help with lighting in a cupboard please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had some building work done and partitioned a room into two -creating a bedroom and a walk in wardrobe.

The room previously had two pendants at either end on the room, and now there is one in the bedroom and one in the wardrobe. Stupidly I didn't consider the wiring before the plastering, and now I want to operate lighting in both rooms separately. I've examined the lightswitch and there's only two wires going in, ie both the lights are on the same circuit.

Has anyone got any ideas for operating the lights indepently?

My ideas are

1) Use x10 system to dim/switch the lights by RF (would be expensive)
2) There is a double power socket in the wardrobe. Could I use this to power a separate switch and light? (Is this safe/legal?)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
is there access to a loft above the ceiling?

luckyglen said:
2) There is a double power socket in the wardrobe. Could I use this to power a separate switch and light? (Is this safe/legal?)

Yes as long as you fuse the cable down, IE using a swithed spur as your lightswitch.

Sponsored Links
Or you could if your light is wired via the three plate method convert the switched cable to your wardrobe light to a permanent feed then just wire off that point to a pulcord or local switch , Job done.

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back