2 way switching help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All...
A little help appreciated for an upcoming job...

New fitted wardrobes to be installed.

There is strip lights above the wardrobe, which the fitters say they just plug them in, there is also some sort of other light that also gets plugged in.

So I am faced with 2 different lights, both plugged in at ground level.
The customer wants to power these on and off from a light switch next to the bed,
the wiring for this is fairly straight forward, the head scratching part is,

They also want 2 way switching for this on 2 different switches, by the room entrance, so to be clear, 2 switches bedroom door, 2 switches by bed, to turn off 2 different lights plugged in under bed....

Can anybody simplify this for me please? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi General, and welcome to the forum.

I would connect them as per the diagram below. [The colours I used relate to the function of the wires, rather than the wire colours available.]

Drawing1 Model (1).jpg

It's not usual for light fittings that are hardwired in to the lighting circuit with wall mounted switches to be then connected by a plug and socket, however, if the clients insist on it, this type of socket should be used. It is especially designed for lighting circuits to prevent non lighting appliances being connected to the lighting circuit.

5amp.jpg

It is especially designed for lighting circuits to prevent non lighting appliances being connected to the lighting circuit.

It is not specially designed for lighting circuits at all. It is an earlier design of UK socket system (still used in South Africa and India) that has largely been superseded in the UK, that some repurpose for remote switched lights.

Thanks Mr. pedantic, you know very well what I meant. ;) I'm sure the OP will find that very helpful.

I seem to remember from my college days that they were first introduced in the UK for lights, when they were the only electrical appliance available, and that the bigger versions came along later when the toaster etc., was invented. However, if I'm wrong I'm sure you will correct me.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My grans house still has round pin sockets throughout. Not a single 1363 anywhere to my knowledge.

the 5A (small) plug and socket are not designed specifically for lights, but they are designed for loads of 5A or less, which includes most lights, but also radios.

Large lights, such as theatre lanterns, still use 15A round pin plugs.

There is also a tiny 2A plug, hardly ever seen.

What is your role? It sounds like you're planning to do the installation for a customer in which case, how will you test to ensure the circuit has been installed correctly?

I will turn the circuit back on and hope for the best, whilst wearing my rubber underpants
I have already told the customer that they can only turn these switches on and off with the aid of a stick or preferably a rubber dildo

Last edited:
What is your role? It sounds like you're planning to do the installation for a customer in which case, how will you test to ensure the circuit has been installed correctly?
He appears to have been hoping that nobody will notice that he is not actually an electrician. Including his poor customer, no doubt.

You really should be employing an electrician to safely do the work. The problem with wiring is that things can work but still be potentially dangerous due to non-compliance with the regs.

As an example, a 13A plug has three connections which offer six different combinations, only one combination is correct. The others will variously still "work" and range from potential fatality and fire to guaranteed fatality and fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back