Fitting a new light fitment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just built a wardrobe in my girls bedroom, i need to fit a new light, am i correct in thinking i can just take power from the main light in the room and both lights will work off of one light switch??

Sponsored Links
as long as you connect it to the right terminals (the ones that actually connect to the light itself) sure.

do you really wan't a light in the wardrobe on the same switch as the main room light though?

it depends how easy it would be to put a seperate switch on with the new light?

is it a simple procedure?

Yes, probably easiest to have a pull cord or something in the wardrobe (otherwise you'll probably be chasing another wire into the switch on the wall)

If you have loop-in wiring at the rose you can decide whether you want it to work indepandantly of the main light, or only when the main light is on, if you only have a switched feed to it, you have the former choice taken away (unless you find the loopin point and wire from there)

Anyway, take feed for the light to the new switch, then onto the light, both reds go to the switch, blacks together, and earths together and to any parts of the switch that require earthing (if any)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back