fitting another light to existing bedroom light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm presently working on an walk in wardrobe and would like to have an extra light fitting in the wardrobe but just to work off the one bedroom light switch.

Here is a picture of the present ceiling rose which i'm sure you'll recognise.

Now my question is can I wire the new light straight to the left and right connections (L & N ) white wires as on the rose above, instead of adding another junction box.??
If so, I take it the new light would just be in parallel and is this allowed?

Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes this would be fine. But left is neutral and right is live (probably).

Have you considered wiring into the left and centre terminals and then fitting a switch in your wardrobe? It's just that it won't always be dark in the room, but will be in the wardrobe. You could have a Jeani doorswitch which turns on the light when the door opens, or a switch on the wall.

Thanks for the swift reply. Might even get it done tonight now. :D

I'll have to look into the switching you mention. Sounds like a good idea. I take it the centre and left would just go to the switch in series with the light?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I take it the centre and left would just go to the switch in series with the light?

If you're going to the switch first then yes.

But if you're using a door switch, then wire the cable directly from the first light to the new light (using the centre [loop] terminal and the left [neutral] terminal). Then run a single two core cable to the switch. Wire this cable across the switch at on end, and to the middle (loop) and right (live) terminals on the wardrobe light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back