electric lights problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i am adding a new light in a walk in wardrobe and have taken the wires from the ceiling rose in the bedroom

problem is when i have the wardrobe wires connected, the wardrobe light works but the bedroom does not

when i disconnect the wardrobe celing rose wire from the bedroom celing rose the bedroom light works

below is a small image numbering the terminations and below the wires connected to the corisponding numbers and the wires destinations in brackets i think i had done it as you said but i am still having no joy

-------------------------
! 1 2 3 4 5 6 !
! 0 0 0 0 0 0 !
-------------------------

1/ one brown wire (to lamp)
2/ one black wire (into celing)
3/ one red wire (into celing) and one brown wire (to wardrobe light)
4/ two red wires (into Celing)
5/ two black wires into celing) and one Blue wire (to wardrobe light)
6/ one blue wire (to lamp)

All earths are connected

Have tries taking the live brown to the wardrobe from term 3 and 4 with same result (wardrobe light works but bedroom doesn't)

thanks for any iseas and hope the little illustration helps

wondering if anyone can offer any advice

thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
The ceiling rose will comprise of blocks which are common to each other, they are usually 2, 3, 3 which can't be the same as yours as you only have 6 terminals. Can you upload a photo? It seems odd that it stops the original light from working, is it making the original light stop on? Is it tripping the MCB or fuse?

Are you saying that you want the wardrobe light to come on when the bedroom light is switched on? If that is the case you should connect it to terminals 1 & 6 or 2 & 5. If you are trying to switch it independantly then you need to establish which is the permanant live & neutral & take your feed to the new circuit from that //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply

the new rose in the wardrobe is as you say 2 3 3 but the one in the bedroom is quite old and 2 2 2

have uploaded the picture

//www.diynot.com/network/alci4/albums/2125/8054

the bedroom light does not stay on

i have fitted an independent switch to thew wardrobe light

all that happens is when i connect the wardrobe wires to term 3 and 5 the wardrobe light works (swithes on and off e.t.c) but the bedroom light does not work

when i disconnect the wardrobe wires the bedroom light works

thanks again for taking the time to look in

Does the wardrobe have its own switch or is it to switch with the bedroom?
If it has its own switch then your wiring in the picture looks correct, (the black to the L should have a red sleeve).
I'd make off those wires again tho as the ends look like they have been chewed off, could be one not making contact.

yes it has it's own pully style switch which works fine when connected just no light in the bedroom

i tried connecting the new light on terms 2+5 but now the bedroom switch operates the wardrobe light

How have you wired the wardrobe light?
Can you post pics of this too?
I'm thinking the pic on the post above looks correct, bar some red sleeving on the lamp live and green/yellow sleeving on the earths. Could do with being tidied up a bit - if you didn't quite clamp one of the reds in properly when putting it back in would cause your problem.
I take it you have tested both the lamps?

How have you wired the wardrobe light?
Can you post pics of this too?
I'm thinking the pic on the post above looks correct, bar some red sleeving on the lamp live and green/yellow sleeving on the earths. Could do with being tidied up a bit - if you didn't quite clamp one of the reds in properly when putting it back in would cause your problem.
I take it you have tested both the lamps?

wardrobe lamp here

//www.diynot.com/network/alci4/albums/2125/8055

i intended to put sleeving on the earths e.t.c when all is well and working, with multiple wiring i now it's untidy but its getting worse and worse the more i jiggle them round to test different scenarios and with 3 wires going in some of the terms it is blinking tight lol

i know both the lamps work as the bedroom one works just so long as the wardrobe isn't connected

I think you have a serious wiring problem, because of the way you describe one light going off when you switch the other one on.

This can only be because light that goes off is being short circuited by the switch. When this happens a fuse should blow or a breaker should trip. In your case this isn't happening, that implies that there is a high resistance somewhere in your wirng.

You urgently need to get a spark in to test your circuits - this is a very dangerous situation.

i am not saying when i switch one light on the other goes off

when i do not have the wires to the wardrobe light connected the bedroom light works fine as it should but when i connect the wardrobe light to the bedroom rose the bedroom light does not operate at all wether the wardrobe light is switched on or off

i tried connecting the brown and blue from the wardrobe in terms 1 and 6 to see if i could just use the bedroom switch for both lights and the same happens, wardrobe works and the bedroom doesn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back