anyone help fit ceiling rose typical four spot light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello..
can anyone help?
the problem is that the light does go on but it can not be switched off!

on the celing rose, there are THREE RED wires, ONE GREEN/YELLO and ONE BLACK.

I have been told that I should THREE BLACK but I dont!

what should I do? can anyone tell me how to wire it at the celing rose?
currently I have connected one of the three red wires to the red on the light, the black to the black on the light and the eart to the eart on the light.. so I have two remaining red wires. The light works when I turn the power on, but it wont switch off at the switch.. should I connect differently? or should I have other wires? could wired be hidden if I break into the ceiling a bit?

Sponsored Links
Did you not keep a note of how the light was wired before? If not, you've made life more difficult for yourself.

Chances are the fitting is on the end of the lighting circuit, therefore has one supply cable (red and black) which supplies constant power to the fitting. The other two red wires probably lead to your switch, and they ALL need to be connected correctly to work.

There is no reason you should have three black wires, although it seems strange you only have one green and yellow. Isn't there an earth running to your light switch?

If the above is indeed the case, you need to do the following:

1. Connect all green and yellow together in light fitting earth terminal
2. Disconnect the red cable you currently have wired to the L terminal in your fitting, and connect it into a spare terminal block. Attach one of the two spare red wires into the same terminal block.
3. Take the remaining red wire and connect to the L terminal on your fitting.
4. Connect the black wire to N on your fitting

Let us know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
the "one earth wire" is probably the 2 earths from the T+E's run down the same sleeving.. quite a common way to do it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back