ceiling rose.. confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but I have a daft question,

I have just replace a ceiling light in one of my rooms,

originally when i took the old light fitting it had two black wires tied together out of the ceiling to a blue wire on the light fitting and a red wire out of the celing connected to the brown wire. ane earth connected to earth. I have just replaced this with a normal celing rose but I am confused.

I only have three wires out of the ceiling (ignoring the earth), two black and one red. I copied the instructions that come with the rose i.e. and the light fitting seems to heat up very quickly.

What am i doing wrong.

I moved the black wires to each of the ends of the rose and red in the middle but no joy nothing worked.
any suggestions?

Thanks

Franky

Sponsored Links
What exactly is the problem?

Does the light work?

Theres only one way to wire it correctly so it will light up, but many many ways to wire it wrong.

You seem to imply the problem is that the fitting gets hot quickly. If you fitted a 100w GLS bulb, it will. :eek:

Hi

I am using an 11w energy saving bulb, there seems to be a burning smell from light bulb after about an hours use. the base of the bulb very hot unlike the others around the house.

current config is:

Ceiling>--------Red-------D--------brown----To bulb

Ceiling>--------Black-----D
I---------blue-------To bulb
Ceiling>--------Black-----D

Ceiling>--------Earth-----D

i think my switch may be wired incorreectly as well?

Thanks

Franky

Sponsored Links
Why do you think the switch may be incorrectly wired?

The LE lamp base may get hot.

Do me a favour. Put this lamp in another lampholder. Leave it on for an hour. Tell me if it is just as hot.

Try another low energy lamp of same brand & wattage in the lampholder you think is wrongly wired. Does it get as hot?

If there is a burning smell, that could be a cheap & nasty lampholder.

Do the same, ie, does it smell if you put that lamp in another lampholder........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back