Replacing light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace currect standard light fitting to new crome one. Remove the celing rose to find 3 browns, 3 blues and two earths.
New light fitting has chocolate box with 1 blue, 1 brown, 1 earth. Which wires to i connect to this and how.

Sponsored Links
Have you taken down the old fitting yet? If not make a detailed note of what wire went where. If you have taken it down do any of the blue cores have a brown sleeve/tape? If so, this connects to the brown in the choc block. if not you will need a multimeter to find the switch wire.

After you have determined the switch wire, you need to connect all the reds together in a separate terminal block. All the earth conductors to the earth terminal and the 2 remaining blue conductors to the N terminal.

Haven't taken it down, best not too just yet! I know which one is the switch wire, so I shall connect this to the brown on the new fitting.
When you say connect all the reds together in a terminal block, these won't actually be used then? I just push these up into the fitting? And I'm sure my wires were brown, although they may well be red - was a bit dark!
Thanks for your help.

leanneb said:
Haven't taken it down, best not too just yet! I know which one is the switch wire, so I shall connect this to the brown on the new fitting.
When you say connect all the reds together in a terminal block, these won't actually be used then? I just push these up into the fitting? And I'm sure my wires were brown, although they may well be red - was a bit dark!
Thanks for your help.

Yes sorry, I meant brown, not red.

The browns are the permanent lives, and the 3 cores are the input live, the live to the switch, and a live to the next fitting. These need to be connected together but are not actually used for the light fitting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back