Wardrobe Lights Wiring

Hpd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting wardrobes and would like to install LED lights which come on when any of the doors are opened. There are four carcasses with a total of 6 doors and my plan would be to run one single 3m strip of LED lights along the top by drilling through the carcasses.

this is the type of thing I have in mind:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-Stri...630157&hash=item1a32b887bc:g:Y60AAOSw76hZjVa5

There is a double socket in one of the wardrobes where they could be plugged in. I am unsure of how to get them to operate like I want them to so would really appreciate some advice on suitable switches, and wiring diagram etc etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 129
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Do you really want the variability of colour that RGB lighting provides in a wardrobe? I would have thought plain white would be better.

Lighting with a plug-in supply like that is no good, as you won't be able to switch the supply on and off with door switches - you need to find some where the supply has a flying lead for connection so that it can go via the switches. All of which you connect in parallel, so that any of them will turn the lights on.

You need push-to-break switches such as these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Switches_Miniture/index.html

Put them as close to the hinged sides of the doors as possible, as they are surprisingly powerful little b****rs, and will push the door open if they are to far from the hinge.

Thanks! Yeah sorry the link was for the type of LED product I'm thinking of, I just want warm white. Could you explain a little bit more about the supply I need? What do you mean by flying lead? Also... I roughly understand wiring them in parallel but a quick explanation of this too would be epic.

Sponsored Links
Why do I need one of those? Also just had a quick google, any idea what would be a suitable type for 3m of those tape style LEDs I linked above? Thanks for the help

Why do I need one of those?
Lighting with a plug-in supply like that is no good, as you won't be able to switch the supply on and off with door switches - you need to find some where the supply has a flying lead for connection so that it can go via the switches.

Also just had a quick google, any idea what would be a suitable type for 3m of those tape style LEDs I linked above?
Ask the people selling the lights.

And general advice - avoid any Chinese sellers on eBay, Amazon etc.

Warm white is pretty yellow- and might affect the choice of clothing due to colour caste.
Something that is nearer daylight (around 6k) would give a better idea about what a colour combo would look like together

Assuming they don't have so many clothes that they can't remember what goes together.

Power supply/driver/LED transformer - they get called all sorts of things, some more "correct" than others.

Lighting with a plug-in supply like that is no good, as you won't be able to switch the supply on and off with door switches - you need to find some where the supply has a flying lead for connection so that it can go via the switches.

You can leave the power supply permanently connected and put the switches in the 12 volt side. This is how it is usually done these days by wardrobe fitters. Modern switch mode supplies take naff all electricity on no load.

Switches in the 12v side will result in the switches failing, as they are only rated for 1 or 2 amps maximum and not designed for DC either.

;)Okay so the plot thickens lol. Anyone able to provide me with a list of stuff that can get this job done?

Looking at the exposed connections on the back of the switches that davelx linked to, I would suggest that under no circumstances should they be used on anything except extra-low voltage (under 50V AC or 90V DC) unless extra insulation/shielding was provided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back