Downlighters and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Contractors are coming to install (throw across) loft insulation in my Fathers bungalow next week, and he has three downlighters in the bathroom, Im aware firehoods are available but have no experience of them whatsoever.
can i use them to cover the top side of the downlighters so that the insulation can be placed over the top,If not whats the best method of ensuring they dont start a fire ;)
.......Also im assuming its wise to keep the low voltage transformers above the insualtion for both access and safety purposes.

Sponsored Links
excuse my nievity but the chaps who are "installing" the insulation will have to cut the insulation so that the tops of these are visible and can get air movement through the unit etc etc

excuse my naivity but the chaps who are "installing" the insulation will have to cut the insulation so that the tops of these are visible and can get air movement through the unit etc etc
Most downlighters require 'air space' around them of between 50/150mm - these covers create this amount of space and there can have insulation laid over them.
Problems occur when downlighters and/or their transformers have insulation laid directly on top of them.

Sponsored Links
seen the link.

•Suitable for 240V & 12V
•Required for Overheat Protection
•Suitable for Domestic Use
•Model No: HA-DIG340
•1300kg

They will test the joists!!

seen the link.

•Suitable for 240V & 12V
•Required for Overheat Protection
•Suitable for Domestic Use
•Model No: HA-DIG340
•1300kg

They will test the joists!!
That is why I pointed out there was a smaller version - weighing in at only 700kg ;)

1.3kg and 0.7kg - I hope :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back