Can i insulate over halolite downlight insulation guards?

You don't need fire rated fittings.

Use standard GU10 fittings. We use 7W megaman dimmerable lamps.

They seem ok with most dimmers, but it's a bit trial and error. The light is great from them.

You can build a switch out of grid parts or get a double dimmer and replace a dimmer module with a switch module.

Thanks.

1. We'll use the 7W megaman dimmerable lamps - just for my confirmation, is this the correct product?

http://www.ledstop.co.uk/led-lamps/led-spotlights/megaman-gu10-7w-led-lamp-50w-dimmable.html

2. If we go with them, do they come with / need a transformer (on the light fitting itself i.e. the part that will be above the plasterboard and in the attic)?

3. What double dimmer switch would you recommend (to ensure compatibility / that they work ok / that they actually look good when dimmed etc)?

4. In terms of getting a double dimmer switch (we'd get that, hopefully based on the recommendation in 3!) and then replacing one of the dimmer modules with a switch module for the extractor fan, what would be the normal quid pro quo - would we need to source the switch module to replace one of the dimmer modules on the double dimmer switch, or would this be something that the electrician would normally be able to provide?

Sponsored Links
Yes they're the ones. You want to get the warm white flavour.

Pick any dimmer you like the look of / that matches your existing switches.
You could try it and see if it works with the LEDs. If not, replace the module with this V pro dimmer which definitely will work. It comes with comprehensive instructions which you need to read to set it up properly.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLJP400MOD.html

The electrician will be able to get the switch module, but it's not necessarily a part he'll have on his van. You can buy them here:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSM.html

I know it's a bit of a faff swapping bits all over the place, but it seems to be the only way to get LEDs dimming properly.

The megamans do not require a transformer. They connect direct to the mains. Can't remember if you're getting new fittings. If you are, make sure they come with GU10 lamp holders. If nit you'll need to buy them separately. One for each lamp.

If we need down lights installed in our upstairs ceiling, how will the leccy Man do this?

All 5 are swapping new down lights from the old ones we have, therefore no further / extended / shortened cabling is required.

Will the leccy man need access to our attic or will he install them from the upstairs rooms?

Acces to the loft is the obvious way, otherwise, your ceiling would need to come down, and you might find that is rather disruptive ;)

Sponsored Links
Acces to the loft is the obvious way, otherwise, your ceiling would need to come down, and you might find that is rather disruptive ;)

Even if just swapping over existing down lighters for new ones? Ie this can't be done through the existing holes for the downlighters?

Yes,
but if you look at the thread title, he wants to put up insulation over the downlights. So he is going to need some loft caps/braces to enable this.
So access to the loft is needed.

Yes,
but if you look at the thread title, he wants to put up insulation over the downlights. So he is going to need some loft caps/braces to enable this.
So access to the loft is needed.
If I was to put the loft caps on and the insulation over that, could the leccy do the job from the upstairs rooms rather than the loft?

Normally you have to do the lights and wiring and then do the loft brace/caps then insulation as the last thing.

Electrician may need to re-run wiring etc. why don't you ask him? He will be on site and doing the job. We can only imagine your site and the situation.

Hopefully someone can help with this as we're struggling a bit with overwhelming information.

We are installing new downlights in our en-suite (3) and our main bathroom (2).

One of these is directly above a shower (zone 2) with the other 4 in main bathroom zone 3.

We're using the following product for our 3 lights in our en-suite - having checked the back of the packaging I'm sure they're compatible with Zone 2 but it would give me peace of mind if someone can confirm.

http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-chrome-effect-ceiling-downlight-240v/176118_BQ.prd

For the 2 in our main bathroom, do we need bath/shower compatible downlight fittings? Or can we use the living room compatible fittings?

We're looking for a similar product to that linked above (i.e. chrome or preferably polished chrome; and with quite a large diameter chrome circle around where the bulb will be housed), and need the fitting to be dimmable. To be honest, I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall trying to work out what we need and actually find something we like.

We're also looking to use LED bulbs for all 5 downlights - not sure if the first product linked actually does the trick?

One of these is directly above a shower (zone 2)
Above the shower is either zone 1 or, if >2.25m from floor level, out of zones.

with the other 4 in main bathroom zone 3.
No zone 3 any more - out of zones.

We're using the following product for our 3 lights in our en-suite - having checked the back of the packaging I'm sure they're compatible with Zone 2 but it would give me peace of mind if someone can confirm.
http://www.diy.com/departments/diall-chrome-effect-ceiling-downlight-240v/176118_BQ.prd[/QUOTE]
IP65 is suitable for zone 1 so, yes.

For the 2 in our main bathroom, do we need bath/shower compatible downlight fittings? Or can we use the living room compatible fittings?
Even if out of zones, they must be stated as suitable for the location by the manufacturer.

We're looking for a similar product to that linked above (i.e. chrome or preferably polished chrome; and with quite a large diameter chrome circle around where the bulb will be housed), and need the fitting to be dimmable. To be honest, I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall trying to work out what we need and actually find something we like.
That's life. Divorce?

We're also looking to use LED bulbs for all 5 downlights - not sure if the first product linked actually does the trick?
The ones you linked seem as if they will be alright, is that what you meant.

The ones you linked seem as if they will be alright, is that what you meant.

Thanks. I think the fittings come with halogen bulbs - what I meant (apologies for not being clear) is whether the fittings are suitable for us to subsequently replace the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs?

Further query - is it possible to get a double switch - one part of the double being a standard on/off switch for the bathrooms extractor fan, and the second part of the double being a round dimmer knob (for the lights) in a chrome / polished chrome finish? And which doesn't look like an industrial patch job as shown in post 11 of the attached?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214574

They don't sell them like that.

Get a two-gang dimmer with push on/off and rotate dim buttons, and then order a push on/off only module to match and swap the modules (and possibly the knob).

They don't sell them like that.

Get a two-gang dimmer with push on/off and rotate dim buttons, and then order a push on/off only module to match and swap the modules (and possibly the knob).

Where would I get any of those specific parts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back