Downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently 12volters tend to run cooler than 230volters.
50watts is 50 watts in any money but it seems that 12 volters use more of the watts in lighting so are brighter wheras 230volters use more of the watts as heating so are hotter.
I did an experiment using an off cut of "plastic ceiling" and the results in flange temperature after 1 hour running where:-
12 volt open fitting 68 deg
12 volt IP fitting 110 deg
230 volt open fitting 116 deg
230 volt IP fitting 120 deg

Strangely enough in each case if clear 6` above were about 3 degrees hotter than if a board was placed 4" above, which is the opposite of what I expected from a heat dissaption point of view. I can only imagine that airflow characteristics came into play.
Of course different products and lamp types will vary these figure but I think it suggests a trend.

Apparently plastic ceiling manufacturers state 60 deg max at flange or F rated fittings not "Oh yeas recessed lights are OK providing adequate ventin above" as the supplier informed us.

Apparently bathroom installers had been fitting hundreds of these and I can only assume that enclosed type where not used in zone 2 (or nobody had noted ceiling distortion - after 1 hour all except the 68 deg had caused distortion)

Sponsored Links
I'd like to see LED downlights become available, not just the GU10 LED based lamps, because someone could swap these out for halogens, but if you had a fitting that had built in LEDs, of course it might be quite expensive, and might even need to wait for LED technology to improve before they could make any that give a decent amount of light.

LED, Ip rated, fittings with built in fire hoods, makes most of the problems accositated with downlights just disappear

Sorry if they are aready available, just havene't seen them

led only good for feature lighting. Big mistake to try otherwise. Recommend avoiding the GU10 mains they are crap in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back