Downlights fire rated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just had downlights fitted in my kitchen. They’re the integrated type ie can’t change the bulb, so I looked to buy some spares but noted the ones fitted aren’t fire rated, I thought they had to be??

The fitter isn’t an electrician but gets an electrician to sign off on the work, would this come up in the inspection??

Sponsored Links
I’m of the “would much rather have fire rated downlights” school and would have insisted on it had I been given the choice.

They need to come out as ceiling needs replastering so I could have them replaced, but if they’re building reg compliant I’m guessing this is at my cost (looks like just over £100 so annoying but not much for peace of mind).

The other thing I don’t like is they’re integrated so you can’t change the bulb! The “how many …. to change a light bulb” seems to have morphed into “you need a PhD in lighting to change a light bulb”!! Quick questions - could I swap these out for GU10 fire rated ones with bulbs? I’ve found some but they’re 70mm cutout v 72mm for the ones fitted - doesn’t sound much but would that be ok?

Sponsored Links
Cut out size should be ok. The bezel should hide the difference.
Personally I would go for the type where you can change the lamps. I have needed to go back to manufacture for replacement downlights that have failed under warranty, only to be told that they do not make them any more. The “replacement” has different look, different output.

Re fire rated. Only necessary if the ceiling is a fire barrier. In a standard house it probably won’t be. There’s no point in most houses, there’s nothing to stop fire going from floor to floor, houses have a nice big fire corridor (called the staircase).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back