Should I replace kitchen downlighters with fire rated ones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While replacing a couple of transformers for the ELV downlighters in the kitchen, I've noticed that the fittings aren't the fire rated ones.

Is there any merit in replacing the existing fittings with fire rated ones - the room above is a bathroom?

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
The kitchen of all places would benefit from them.

You don't need new fittings, just fire hoods- cloth "boxes" impreganted with firefoam you push through the DL hole and open up inside the ceiling. IMO better than fire rated fittings which are more prone to overheating and discolouration/failure and require coolback (heat-forward) lamps.

The kitchen of all places would benefit from them..
But there is no point unless the ceiling is fire-rated, which it wont be.

You don't need new fittings, just fire hoods- cloth "boxes" impreganted with firefoam you push through the DL hole and open up inside the ceiling. IMO better than fire rated fittings which are more prone to overheating and discolouration/failure and require coolback (heat-forward) lamps.

I would advise againt this option. Many downlight fittings just deform with firehoods due to the build-up of heat.
But, as I said, there's no point .

Sponsored Links
Is there any merit in replacing the existing fittings with fire rated ones - the room above is a bathroom?
No, but there's a great deal of merit in replacing them with lighting which actually works effectively.

Thanks for the information

My next question was going to be about bathroom extractors but as the LABC want £360 to issue a cert if I do it myself, I think I'll find a local sparky who's covered under a competent persons scheme.

No, but there's a great deal of merit in replacing them with lighting which actually works effectively.

Can you explain a bit further?

Add up the wattage of the existing downlighters, and consider how brightly and evenly they light the room.

Then try to imagine the same wattage of fluorescent tubes - e.g. a 5' is about 60W.

Now - I'm not suggesting striplights as a sensible alternative - even in a kitchen it's understandable to want a bit more style, but hopefully the comparison will bring it home to you just how dreadful small recessed downlights are, and will prompt you to try and find something better...

Add up the wattage of the existing downlighters, and consider how brightly and evenly they light the room.

Then try to imagine the same wattage of fluorescent tubes - e.g. a 5' is about 60W.

Now - I'm not suggesting striplights as a sensible alternative - even in a kitchen it's understandable to want a bit more style, but hopefully the comparison will bring it home to you just how dreadful small recessed downlights are, and will prompt you to try and find something better...

Yeh, we've got 400W (8x50W) of halogens in the kitchen and since they've all been working it's a bit like being on stage at the Palladium.

We've actually started turning them off when we're not in the kitchen as they're just too bright.

My next move was to change some down to 35W or swap to LEDs...

There are plenty of viable alternatives, but they involve either larger recessed lights (150-200mm) or surface mounted luminaires....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back