1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

downlights from 13 amp connection unit

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by crooner, 28 May 2010.

1. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, i want to fit down lights downstairs in kitchen ceiling, i have a 13 amp socket that will never be used as it is jammed behind a kitchen unit,i can get access to the cable's from the back quite easily,and fit connection unit higher up the wall for access, so can i change 13amp socket to a 13amp connection unit,then run a 1.5 cable to lights,

2. BigJon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I dont see why not, presuming its a switched fused connection unit your going to be fitting.
    Will you be burying the cables, do you know if you have RCD protection on said circuit?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    bigjon, yes it is a switched fuse unit, i'm not sure if i have RCD protection the fuse box have switches,the cables run down to a 13 amp socket i was going to cut these cables and run to the fused connection unit,
    from what i have read on this site this is okay if the fused connection unit was a spur, but i was unsure because it would be on the ring circuit as i cant get access to front of 13 amp socket, i can only get into the cables that go into the back of socket

4. spark1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    would these downlights be 230 volt or 12 volt type ?

5. crooner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi spark1, i was thinking of putting in 230volt they will go into plaster board ceiling which i will be getting plastered,(no more than 2 50 watt's plenty of room in ceiling,by the way i have decided to put a 13 amp socket above the one i cant access & just run a fused connection unit to lights,can you advise me on lights they are not for show,someone in the family is visually impaired

6. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The 13 amp socket should not be jammed behind a kitchen unit, they should be easily accessesible. So if at any time they did need to be inspected and tested this could be done.
    I suggest the socket is moved, so it is accessible.
    A fused connection unit can be installed to this, you could use a switched FCU as this can then be used as a functional switch, if not you would need to then drop a switch cable down to operate the lights. The FCU would need to be down fused to a suitable rating.
    When fitting downlights you must ensure that you have adequate ventilation around the fitting and that their use does not breech any fire regulations.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. wingcoax

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What seems to have been missed so far is that you cannot use a 13A fuse on the lighting circuit. You will have to fit a 3A fuse in the FCU in order to comply with regs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :cool:

9. wingcoax

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :cool:[/quote]
    Sorry; reading too quick again. :rolleyes: