Downlights in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of having two downlights installed over the bed with baffles. I've seen it done in some places. Would it be too much glare?

Sponsored Links
Baffles?

And why do you want spotlights over the bed? Wouldn't a more even form of general room illumination be better?

I was aiming for a chandelier in the centre, two downlights in the bay and something near the bed. As this isnt the master not loads of room for lamps and bedside tables. Therefore I was aiming for downlights above the bed or wall lights.

Sponsored Links
So you start with a light which doesn't do what you want, it being a spotlight, i.e. it produces a narrow beam of intense light, resulting in a glare problem.

And you fix that by blocking some of the beam so that it won't do the one thing it's designed to do, rather than looking for a light that doesn't have problems of fundamental unsuitability?

Hmmmm... :confused:

Use wall washers, possibly the ceramic type with cut-outs in the bottom to allow some light to come out downwards.

I see, I just saw them used like that in a new development (low energy ones). I've seen an ideal pair or ceramic ones that you have mentioned that will match my fireplace.
Still ok to use a couple in the bay though. My sparki suggested using two over the cupboard area, but maybe best to install a light in the cupboards themselves?

they're called diffusers, not baffles..

I take it you want these for reading in bed etc where your book would be creating it's own shadow with just the central light?

Yes for tha purpose only really. Are the diffusers like a honeycomb cover over the lamp? Toss up between these or wall lamps/washers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back