Downlights in garage ceiling?

gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install a ceiling in my garage and would like to take the opportunity to improve the lighting.
Currently the garage has a corrugated asbestos roof - ugly but watertight. I has a bare bayonet bulb fitting screwed to a joist.
I would like to install led downlights in the new ceiling. Is there a particular installation requirement (fire/moisture etc) for such an installation? The garage is detached from the house, single skin brick and breeze construction.
Thanks for the advice!

Sponsored Links
I would not put downlights in a garage. As their name suggests, they light down. You want a good spread of light for a garage.

Fit a batten tube light or lights, either an LED or a fluorescent.

The reason I want downlights is to create a more "interior" look to the garage. Point taken though, and I will also consider flush recessed tube lights, which with careful installation could look "indoors-y".

Sponsored Links
Taylor's right, get an LED Batten, nice bright and very functional

ban-all-sheds, thanks for your valuable insight.

Thanks all, I see what you're getting at and will go with the LED battens. Easier installation and better light coverage for a garage/workshop environment. I was also pleased to find some attractive and discreet LED battens.

But if you really really want downlights then get on with it- make sure you don't bury the fittings with insulation (even LED ones generate excess heat that needs to be disposed of).

ban-all-sheds, thanks for your valuable insight.
NP - glad you found it useful. It did seem to be a point you had overlooked:
The reason I want downlights is to create a more "interior" look to the garage. Point taken though, and I will also consider flush recessed tube lights, which with careful installation could look "indoors-y".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back