fitting downlights over the garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
id like to fit downlights over the front of the garage door do i need exterior lights? or can i just install any downlighters thinkin of fitting them to a pir would love as much help as possible many thanx :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Is this for functional light or purely decoration?

For functional light use 50 watt halogens, but if its decoration, use LED modules.

they for functional use just been to ikea an seen a pack of 3 downlights 35 watt bulbs in them for £1.99 reduced from 7

You'll need IP rated lights, i'm not sure if splashproof is sufficient, will someone else confirm?

Sponsored Links
these have ip44 on them

They may be ok for outside use, as the transformer, for the set of 3 halogen rock lights which I have out in the little side courtyard, is IP44 rated & is ok to be sited outside.

Fitted two IP44 rated downlighters above my garage door about 3 years ago and also linked to pir with no problems. must add however that my garage roof overhangs door by approx 1ft so lights are pretty well protected from the wet.

yeah these have a good foot over hang so hopefully shouldnt have any probs thanx guys just got to sort out the best way to wire them now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back