Front canopy downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.thinking of fitting 3 downlighters in the canopy out front.fuse board is just behind our front door,so can i just take a cable straight from lighting circuit from there to switch then to lights.also can you use normal downlighters for under canopy.cheers

Sponsored Links
Down lights can be anything from 2 inches to 2 foot, and 12 volt (extra low voltage) to 230 volt (low voltage) as to what is normal, I don't know.

With extra low voltage some where you need to reduce the voltage from low voltage, toroidal or electronic transformers, or drivers, with low voltage it needs RCD protection and earth bonding of some sort.

Rules change country to country, Wales and England are not the same, there does not seem to be anything wrong with what you propose, but since you don't really say what you intend to do, can't really give an answer.

Also the word "I" tells us nothing, and because I can do some thing it does not mean you can.

As with any accessory it must be suitable for the environment. There are a number of things to consider.
For instance:

Is the position that the lights will be fitted subject to water spray or some other external influence? If so then fit a downlight with an appropriate IP rating.

Is the “canopy” made of a flammable material? If so then select a downlight that is suitable for mounting on a flammable surface (note this is not the same thing as fire-rated which refers to the resistance to the passage of fire).

Etc…

Other info at

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back