outside downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just moved into a newbuild house with canopy porch over the front door and garage. I noticed that there was some rust on the chrome bezzel of the downlights set into the plastic faced ceiling of the canopy.On starting to clean them I found they were standard 230 volt downlights and on checking found them to be off a lighting circuit with a 6 amp MCB on the un protected side of the C.U. Should these lights being outside be at least I.P. rated? I have the electrical installation certificates from the builders contractor but the builder says to fit this sort of light is normal.Advice off you qualified guys would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Since the canopy provides a weathering barrier and the fitting is not directly exposed to the elements the electrical contractor have done nothing 'wrong'.

There's a fair argument to suggest that the fittings are not fit for purposed due to the corrosion that (pre clean) was evident.

What are you neighbours like, do they have a similar problem and might it be worth while sending out a group compliant based on several properties having the same issue?

Thanks for your reply Chris5 , so as long as rain cannot fall directly on to the light it is safe not to be I.P. rated.I am not bothered re the rusting, chrome outside you expect to clean once in a while it was just the safety aspect possible spray from hose pipe or condensation etc. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back