Low energy downlighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where can I find a low energy downlighter that will fit into a ceiling with 6cm clearance above? This will be used outside so some degree of water resistance is required

Background:
I am looking to install a downlighter (or 2) in the canopy above my front door. By canopy I mean a bit of roof that sticks out from the wall without any structure above or below. I really dont want to use halogen lights as they are costly to run and hot, I use CFLs in the house.

I understand the electrical side of the work and have issued a Part P form to my LABC for this and other work.

Sponsored Links
With only 60mm clearance, finding a downlighter to fit could be a problem. If it does fit, then heat dissipation may become a problem.

CFLs don't run so hot as TH lamps, but they are deeper, so lose out on size.

LEDs may hold the answer here, say something like these, although you may need a few more of them......
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLKIT3W.html

LEDs might well be the way forward. Can they be controlled from a PIR?

I have also considered a IP44 striplight, but have not found one of those yet.

Check if the PIR has a minimum power rating, some electronic controls don't like switching very small loads. Other than that I can't see any problem.

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:

I fit 7w CFL's on a regular basis which are exactly the same size as a standard GU10 halogen lamp.

GaryMo said:
TicklyT said:

I fit 7w CFL's on a regular basis which are exactly the same size as a standard GU10 halogen lamp.

The only thing to look out for is to make sure you don't fit them into enclosed downlighters. They fail spectacularly without warning if they don't get enough airflow :!:

aptsys said:
The only thing to look out for is to make sure you don't fit them into enclosed downlighters. They fail spectacularly without warning if they don't get enough airflow :!:

They're fitted to JCC firerated 90 minute downlighters (standard downlight we fit) and have been for as long as they've been available.
Number of failures have been negligible, in fact of the ones that have failed most would have been DOA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back