Low energy downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering kithen refurb but don't want to use 400-550 Watts of downlighters! Anyone used low energy downlighters?

GU10 compact flourescent. Screwfix ref: 52469-85

or

Low energy R80. Screwfix ref: 27349-85

Sponsored Links
The low energy GU10's are much deeper than the regular ones. I tried to put some in fire-rated downlighters and the lamp was a good 6mm too long to fit (as the end of the fitting is enclosed).
They'll probaby be ok with the regular open ended fittings.

TTC

Sponsored Links
TTC, the lamps are bigger than normal, but as far as i know, the fittings on the link above are made for the bigger lamp.

Ahh yes. I had used fire rated downlights from Scfewfix & the BCO wanted low energy lamps in 2 of them (Part L1 and all that).
The low energy GU10 from TLC is too big for the SFX fitting.

TTC

I have replaced 9 of these in my garden lights, the 7 watt version is exactly the same length as a standard GU10 bulb and is equiv to 35 watt bulb

also to be aware that they come in different temperatures - i opted for the 2700K which is a nice warm light - the 6400K version is a very cold / blue colour and is a bit harsh

if you can live with the 7 watt version it makes for an excellent energy saving option !

I have these in my kitchen ......

LP0236605-40.jpg

A plug & play direct replacement for R80's

15W each ..... Not as bright as the 100 Watters, but a good 85%

£13.50 each tho :cry:

Here <<<<<<< Click

Lately I fitted many low energy GU10, 9W bulbs. I try to install them as standard with a fire/sound complying fitting. The bulbs were fitted without problems. I wanted the 11W but I have been told that they are longer and will not fit, today in one of the links I looked at the details and it seems that the 9W and the 11W are the same length, or there is a mistake?

Albert said:
Lately I fitted many low energy GU10, 9W bulbs. I try to install them as standard with a fire/sound complying fitting. The bulbs were fitted without problems. I wanted the 11W but I have been told that they are longer and will not fit, today in one of the links I looked at the details and it seems that the 9W and the 11W are the same length, or there is a mistake?
AFAIK, they are the same length. The 7 watt ones are the same size as a halogen GU10, according to one member on here.

If so, this is good news as some customers complain that the 9W is not bright enough if compared to the halogen 50W. IMO they are not bad, and the 11W would make a good option.

Steve said:
AFAIK, they are the same length. The 7 watt ones are the same size as a halogen GU10, according to one member on here.

Confirmed.
I have them on the landing in standard JCC fire rated fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back