Bathroom downlighters, energy saving for building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, building regs have stated that for our new bathroom the lights must be energy saving. Before we ask an electrican round I wanted to do a bit of research for types and prices. Ideally we want downlighters, like these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78164...Chrome-Indoor-Low-Energy-Downlights-Pack-of-3

But these aren't fire-rated. I guess they would need to be for building regs? I have read that if we have low-energy pendants somewhere else in the house this might be ok. But don't really want to do that.

Any advice please would be great. Thank you.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Hi, building regs have stated that for our new bathroom the lights must be energy saving.
The building regs are the same for everyone, and last time I looked at the relevant sections, there was nothing that said "all ye bathroom lighting must be energy saving". However your local authority's building control dept may interpret them so that they require it. Since your having an electrician do the work, LABC wont be involved for inspection, so do what you like. Though energy saving downlighters are much better than halogen and will save you money. I went for a good brand for mine, Megaman.

Fair enough, decent price.

But these aren't fire-rated. I guess they would need to be for building regs? I have read that if we have low-energy pendants somewhere else in the house this might be ok. But don't really want to do that.
1. Why would they sell non-fire rated lights if they werent suitable for use?
2. You dont need fire rated fittings unless this ceiling forms part of the barrier between 2 dwellings - ie flats. And dont tell mr. building control tell you anything else.
3. Why would having low energy pendants negate any need for fire rated fittings? :confused: :confused:

Yes the building control have interpret that! Plus in the long run it will save money as you mentioned.

I'll look up Megaman too, thank you.

I understand your point 1, thanks for clearing up point 2 too. I made a mistake for point 3, I mean't having normal downlighters in the bathroom and energy saving else where to pleased the building inspector!

Most helpful, thanks again for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Building control dont care about low energy replacement bulbs - they want to see fittings that only take low energy lamps such as PL and D shape bulbs, which have different ends on them.

I believe your fittings qualify for this, they probably have some sort of "key" for the low energy lamps. My fittings have this, and are made of plastic so couldn't be used with halogen lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back