Experience of Low Energy Downlighters

FLM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been reading about low energy lighting on these forums and wondering how many of you out there have installed these and what you think of them.

I'm redoing a kitchen in a top floor flat and am considering putting low energy downlighters in the ceiling:
http://www.tlcdirect.co.uk/Main_Ind...hts_Index/Downlights_Energy_Saving/index.html

...and low energy downlighters underneath the cabinets:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...CSTHZOSFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=40416#

Can anyone comment on how these compare to halogens? Is the quality and pattern of light similar? Do they get hot?

Sponsored Links
Great thank you.

Interested to see that they can be installed in insulation. Does that mean that I can be lazy and just poke them straight into the insulation (even if it touches) without using the famed inverted flower-pot? :)

Sponsored Links
I would think it is best practice to ensure the insulation is still not touching as the CFLs do still get warm, but there is no where near as much heat as produced by a halogen lamp.

Our Kitchen is lit by 9 halogen downlighters and I recently bought one low energy bulb to try - replaced the one over the Kitchen sink.

SWMBO still nas not noticed, even though it takes a second or two to light and does not reach max brightness immediately.

Will get some more when I get chance (and can afford it) - will take some pressure off the electricity bill

We have them in our bathroom - 3no 9 watt lamps. they take a good 5 mins to reach full brightness, however, they get left on all night normally. The warming up light is sufficient to have a dump and read a mag. And if instant light is needed there is a 60w tungsten tube lamp above the sink.

(Please don't shoot me down for having a differing opinion!)

Tried them in my kitchen and hated them. Couldn't live with the slight delay on flicking the switch, the fact that it's a bit gloomy until they warm up, and the fact that the light only came halfway down the room (admittedly we have high ceilings).

The closest I could come to saving the planet was to limit myself to 35w halogens!

Depends how low energy you go! My folks have 2 number 2x26W PL downlighters in their lounge with drop glasses. They sure as hell ain't short of light!!!!! Mind you 104W plus ballast inefficiencies/overheads ain't all that low energy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back