low energy downlights

Sponsored Links
Dunno but I fitted 6 Auroras in a kitchen with 11 watt meggaman lamps and we were all groveling around in the dark, so I went back to the merchants for 50 watt 12v halogens and halelulia I see the light.

Equivalent to 50 watts my r's. Obviously if you are doing it as part of your energy efficiency requirements then allow for double the amount of holes in the ceiling you would require for 12v halogen. Trust me in this. They are no where near as good as the bayonet fitting fluorescent lamps we've been using for years, it's not a wait until they come bright situation, recessed like that they just don't give off the lumens the manufacturers claim at the spread required to light the room, end of. They are turkeys!

The point about these down lights is that they will accommodate the longer Meggamans. So will downlights without fixed bulb holders. The biggest problem with the Meggaman type units is that they take a long time to come to full brightness. If you want the room full of light on pressing the switch, then they are not the answer. In a bathroom it may not matter. I've a row of LEDs over the WHB and WC with a row of CFLs in the centre of the bathroom. This gives instant and not-dazzling light in the middle of the night, but enough to read in the bath when the CFLs get it together.
Have fun
V

Sponsored Links
After a very long time the recessed downlights are still very dim compared to 50watt 12v halogens. Before a very long time they are obviously much dimmer.

But if you want to put your money where your mouth is you can buy the 6 I bought and fitted which I have now made a loss on at half price. I can't say fairer than that.

You haven't said which zone you want to put them. If zone 3 without water jets they will be OK. Otherwise you'll need IP rated versions.

Paul Barker, I have 3 megaman cfls in my bathroom. I am more than happy with them. They are left on all night, so warm up time isn't an issue - I can understand many people are unhappy with waiting 5 minutes for full brightness. ;)

Think I'll go for 50watt 12v halogens.I tried a low energy lamp in the kitchen just one in a 4 lamp unit the difference was amazing a nice white light instead of dull yellow.unfortunately the wife complains it takes time to get bright and thats with the other halogens If they where all low energy she'd probably crack up as she expects light instantly.Better not take the chance on an ear bashing.They will be in zone 3 to save any hassle.

My 11w Megamans are way brighter than the 50w halo's I replaced..They do do different lux versions so 11w will vary in light output..

Cheers

Richard

Interesting that your experiences are different. The householder wasnt happy in my case and the 50w 12v halogens were clearly far brighter. I don't go changing fittings at my expense lightly. They were markedly useless.

Here is a picture of our kitchen. In all honesty it doesn't really show how light they are due to the limitations of my camera/phone but if you look at the spot you can see it's a very white light rather than the yellow of halo's

..As I say I'm real glad we changed :LOL:

Cheers

Richard

Oh alright then, heres my bathroom:

DSC01161.jpg

I chose this photo because it shows the contrast - note by the door where the landing light spills through, its a yellowy colour. This, is a 20w bayonet CFL, but all the lamps claim to be "warm white". Evidently the GU10s are a whiter white, but still they light the bathroom adequately, and much better than the halogens they replaced.

Can't put picture up as the lamps are now rolling around in the van. My advise to any electrician is let your customer elect to have such lamps, point them to these contra opinions, don't get caught like me with 6 secondhand lamps you have paid for from your own money and fitted and dismantled gratis, by suggesting them in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back