Downlighters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed Celotex PL4000 to the underside of my ceiling joists in my garage conversion. (60mm foam insualtion with a 12.5 plasterboard glued on)

The wiring has been installed in the cavity above the the boards between the joists to allow 8 downlights. At the moment the cabling is just hanging down from boards ready to receive a light fixture.

Only recently have I become aware that celotex prohibit the use of downlighters with their boards. You can cut into the plasterboard but not into the foam.

So, what are my options? I can't find a downlight that fits into a 12.5mm deep opening. The surface mounted ones I've been looking at are around 70-150m deep and would look ridiculous.

What options are available to me, help!!!

Sponsored Links
Light fittings that go on the surface, I'm afraid.

Your garage conversion will be subject to Building Conttrol inspection, and they are very hot on anhything that compromises the thermal characteristics of a building.

Sorry, mate. Sue whoever drew up the plans.

Sponsored Links
Has the ceiling been skimmed yet?

I'm guessing it has.

If you can't remove the boards, how easy is it to redirect the cable to the middle for a centre light? Or even two centre lights?

Are the cables emerging from the ceiling cut ends, or are they continuous?

They are various small surface light fittings that may be suitable for your current wiring.

Recently fitted some chrome suare fittings, about 3 inch square and 1 inch deep, with frosted glass. Something like that would possibly get you out of trouble. Don't know where they came from.

UPDATE:
So I've spoken to LED Hut.
The lights are fixed using spring loaded clips to the side of the hole cut out of the plasterboard.

They have assured me that the driver can be placed in a cold roof space and that there would be no danger of damage from extreme cold or condensation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back