Downlighters in single story house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a single storey extension which has a sloping roof up to the side of the main house. I have recently pulled down the ceiling which was a low flat ceiling and am now going to attach plasterboard directly to the rafters so that the ceiling has more height at one end. (i.e. sloping up to the house as well)

I want to install downlighters in this new plasterboard. However the joists are 100mm deep and the downlighters I have found require 110mm clearance. I'm going to use 12.5mm plasterboard so they will fit (just).

Is this OK?

I'm removing any insulataion where the lights are going but is it possible that the lights could set fire to the roofing felt?

Will fire rated downlights stop the felt from getting hot or do they simply stop the spread of fire up through the ceiling?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Theres a very high possibility of the lights setting fire to the roofing felt!

You're going to need to get some kind of Insulation Support Box for your downlighters, but as clearence is an issue with the lights you're looking at I think a rethink is in order, there are shallower designs available, even some that are half recessed / half surface mount (which I think look quite nice anyway!)

You should be using 12.5mm plasterboard for a ceiling anyway.

Many thanks 'click-sure'. House fires are something I like to try and avoid!

Any idea where I can buy the 'half-recessed' lights that you talk of. I've looked on screwfix/wickes and ebay but can't find any.

Thanks,

Chris

you could batten out the joists to lower the ceiling.about 30 quids worth of wood and a box of screws?

Sponsored Links
Good idea Daytona. I did think of that but I'm at the 'can't be bothered' stage now so I'm looking for the easy option like a light fitting I can just put in!

I might however have to resort to the 'battening' idea.....

Why is it that a job which you think will take a few days always takes a few weeks and ends up costing 4 times as much as you expect!

Wouldn't you be better off using something like these ?
Then you won't be worried about setting fire to your roof :oops:

The trouble is, if you use standard fittings with CFLs, there is nothing to stop someone coming along and whacking standard GU10 lamps in.

If you use a CFL ftting, they will not accept a GU10 lamp.

Use a cheap plastic CFL fitting and it will melt if you put a standard GU10 in ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back