downlights suitable in a low ceiling area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im looking for some design advice so here goes.

3 bedroom house.

We have knocked through the kitchen wall (open plan)and this now leads into the dining room( this is the second living room, the first is used as a bedroom).
The height floor to ceiling is 2460mm, 2.46, 8ft roughly.

This then leads into the extension which is used as the tv/lounge room. The height from floor to ceiling 2300mm,2.30m, 7 and a 1/2 ft roughly.

My plan was to put in 12 x downlights in each room and this would be handy due to the lower ceiling in the extension.
Ive now been thinking about it and may just put in bar or either square spot lights, maybe 4 or 8 in each room as the light generated from downlights will be more concentrated and require more fittings. I can also control the direction of light with spots.

1.will i be better of putting in downlights in the extension due to the lower ceiling or can i get away with installing two bar or square spotlights??? Bearing in mind, i plan on using the same lighting in both rooms.

2. The dining room does not get much natural light even though we have just put in french doors with side windows that are the same height as the doors. Any suggestions on particular colours of paint for wallls that are best suited?

I hope i have posted this in the right category, im hoping the sparks that have a great aesthetic side to themselves can really help.

Thanks Guys, i may sometimes supply too much information

Sponsored Links
Your idea for spots on bars would be much more energy efficient than down lighters ,unless you used the low energy type which appear to be much more expensive. I don't think your ceiling heights will be an issue. Johnson's Antique cream is the colour for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back