What recessed lighting for low ceiling dining area/office?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a flat roofed conservatory that is being split into 2 rooms. 1 room is an office about 2m x 3.5m. The rest is a dining area around 2m x 3m which joins onto the kitchen which has a normal ceiling height.

The ceiling height is also only about 2m. Above the plasterboard ceiling is a 100mm void with no insulation, then an insulated warm flat roof above that.

I thought of using 2 rows of 4 GU10 or MR16 dimmable LED downlighters with a wideish angle in each room, but wondered if there are any better suggestions? I know that the normal spotlights are not great as room lighting.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
You will have the anti-downlight demon to deal with shortly.
Normal spots will light up the areas fine!

If you have an uninsulated 100mm void, downlights will be fine, but do you have access to this void to install them?

I would stick with 240V LED.

I've read several anti-downlight threads, which is why I've posted - do I have a realistic alternative given the low ceiling height? I have an open mind!

Yes I have access to the void, because I'm redoing the ceiling plasterboard - there isn't any at the moment.

I've seen the dedicated LED downlighters such as Haler. But they are much more expensive than GU10. What is the benefit?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments. I do have wall uplighters in there today (120w halogen) and I don't like the light from them. Because of the low ceiling they are mounted relatively low, which means you can nearly see the harsh light from the lamp.

I read somewhere that in low ceiling rooms it is best to not light up the ceiling, as that draws attention to it.

Whay are you not insulating in the void when you have the chance?
The lights I linked to have the advantage that you can lay insulation directly on them

The roof is already insulated, so there is no need to, providing good heat loss prevention has been met.
Ah, yes I mis read the original post. Even so that's still approx 1.5 cu meters being heated unnecessarily which a couple of quid would stop and make the rooms more efficient to maintain temperature.

do I have a realistic alternative given the low ceiling height? I have an open mind!
Wall lights!

You can get other types of recessed or semi recessed lighting or flush fittings
As long as ceiling is white I would agree. Up-lighters work better than down-lighters simply as ceiling is normally white and floor normally dark.

Area matters and up-lighters will reflect to light from a very large area producing very few shadows.

With white walls with down-lighters aimed at the walls then again you can get good diffused lighting and where the walls don't lend themselves to mounting lights on then using lights in the ceiling to reflect of white cupboard doors for example in a kitchen can work.

The other method is direct lighting a circular light 12 inches across can also work well. So can recessed fluorescent tubes either reflecting off walls or ceiling although they tend to show up every imperfection in the plaster.

An odd spot light aimed at a special area like the desk can supplement the general lighting but in general any spot lights should be avoided.

I thought of using 2 rows of 4 GU10 or MR16 dimmable LED downlighters with a wideish angle in each room, but wondered if there are any better suggestions? I know that the normal spotlights are not great as room lighting.

cheers!

But most GU10s are MR16s. GU10 refers to the base. MR16 refers to the size of the reflector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back