Plasterboard ceiling with downlights over wooden ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to plasterboard then plaster over a wooden ceiling in our kitchen.
I want to put 5 downlights into the new ceiling using one light fitting and an electrician to fit them!

The problem I have is what kind of height downlights require vertically. (How far they stick up past the ceiling height sinc ethis will dictate the level of the new plasterboard ceiling.

The ceiling is already quite low and I want to avoid having it any lower than necessary.

Does anyone know the average height of these and whether there are any kind of rules whether the downlights can touch anything (ie. the underside of the wooden ceiling)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I want to put 5 downlights into the new ceiling using one light fitting
Not quite sure what you mean here? 5 into 1 doesn't go!

The problem I have is what kind of height downlights require vertically. (How far they stick up past the ceiling height since this will dictate the level of the new plasterboard ceiling).
This depends on the height of the fitting, and the manufacturers required clearance above. You will have to check this before purchase.

Does anyone know the average height of these and whether there are any kind of rules whether the downlights can touch anything (ie. the underside of the wooden ceiling) .
Again this depends of the fitting. Some are marked as being suitable for fixing to a flamable surface, most are not. You could always cut a larger hole in the timber where a light will be installed before boarding it over so that the light is only incontact with the plasterboard.

Thanks for your reply, i was thinking about these fittings.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1242029374359&isSearch=false

Unhelpfully the only height given is the height it protrudes below the ceiling!

Sorry about my novice terminiology! I was hoping to use the wires that currently go into one ceiling light fitting to split the supply and go to the five downlights above the ceiling height. I think this would involve a junction box? Hope that makes more sense.

Most GU10 fiitings are in the region of 90-110mm. Since yours will have Megaman 9w LE blubs it will deffo be 100mm+ inside the void.

The lights can be joined on a float j/box so long as you consider it accessable. So getting a j/b that is smaller than the hole cut out for the GU10 and poking it away from the fitting inside the void will satify that requirement.

I would add that 9w LE isn't that bright and I'd suggest you consider 11w, you will also need to decide if you want dimming or fixed lamps, since they need to be the dimming type if you want dimming.

Have a look at TLC http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...hts_Index/Downlights_Energy_Saving/index.html

Also consider that 5w LED (expensive bulbs at £19 each) are the same footprint as 'old' GU10 lamps and will run in any GU10 fitting available.

Some GU10 lamps won't like fitting in 11mm p/board + 18mm wood, the retainer spring won't cope with the depth between surface and void.

Some can adjust, here's a picture

GUFRD9C.JPG

Notice the clips can be moved up the body of the fitting to allow for extra depth :D

Sponsored Links
Worth investing in these then!
I really appreciate all the info and the research.
I'll show these to my electrician and see what they can do about cutting out the wood to an appropriate depth.

Thanks again.
:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back