CEILING LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a couple of comments on here over the past few days regarding ceiling lights. Didn't post on those topics for fear of being accused of 'hi-jacking' the topics.

Anyhow, simple question.

Low voltage [12v] downlights, 35W, not fire-rated. More than sufficient room above and beside the hole cutouts with no insulation round them. None near any wooden joists.

Basic setup is light fittings in holes cut out of plasterboard ceiling. Ceiling is papered and painted.

Is this a problem?

Reason I ask is that there have been some comments about lights and heat causing a potential fire risk. I am mainly concerned that the fitting could set fire to the ceiling paper or is it the case that the actual fitting [as opposed to the bulb/holder] would never get hot enough to do so?

If this IS a problem, what's the answer? Apart from removing the downlights and patching the holes with plasterboard and plaster then re-papering!!

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you still got the info. that came with the lights, it may, tell you that you need hoods, if it does, you do.

Can you access the lights from the floor above?

If not then you said it already

oharaf, I'll have to disagree. The info with the lights will not say if fire hoods are necessary, that is a metter of where the lights are going.

If there is the recommended space above and around the lights then there should not be a fire hazard from the lights.

The real question is: does a papered & painted ceiling consitute a flammable surface.?
I would suspect that it isnt flammable but then I'm not a fire expert.

If you are unsure then either use F-rated fittings or follow the makers instructions on flammable surfaces . It will say something like: Max. lamp wattage 50W (35W when used on flammable surface eg. wood).

I would think you should be fine.

I've seen hundreds of DLs installed in ceilings with a paper / paint finish (mainly when I was pub fitting) and I have never seen any signs of damage, but as has been said, you should check with the manufacturers to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Fitting fire hoods will make the fitting hotter, and could cause your concerns over heat and the ceiling paper, to become a reality ;)

Oh, and theres no need for fire hoods in most situations. ;)

Thanks for all the replies people.

MIs state that maximum bulb in flammable areas is 35W which is what is fitted.

MIs also give 'headroom' and surround distances which have all been adhered to. I have also ensured that there are no joists anywhere near.

Basically, the maximum wattage has been adhered to and the 'void' around the lights exceeds the requirements of the MIs.

I am assuming, therefore, I will be okay and not have yet another job to do filling and replastering?

Much obliged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back