Downlights wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently installing 6 downlights into a room that currently has two pendants and one switch. The pendants are being removed.

The cabling to the light switch and the first pendant will remain (this pendant will be replaced with the first downlight). Do I then simply daisy chain the remaining 5 downlights?

This means that each of the lights will have a cable coming in and a cable coming out, apart from the last one, which will just have one cable coming in.

The lights are 240v 7w LEDs, so the wattage over the 6 lights is 42w max.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I'm currently installing 6 downlights into a room that currently has two pendants and one switch. The pendants are being removed.

The cabling to the light switch and the first pendant will remain (this pendant will be replaced with the first downlight). Do I then simply daisy chain the remaining 5 downlights?

This means that each of the lights will have a cable coming in and a cable coming out, apart from the last one, which will just have one cable coming in.

The lights are 240v 7w LEDs, so the wattage over the 6 lights is 42w max.

Many thanks.

The pendant may have looped in cables for the next room and a switch in which case you will need a junction box there. From there onwards that should be OK provided the down lights have big enough terminals for 2 cables.

Wait for BAS to ask why you are using lights designed not to light up rooms.

Excellent, thanks for the reply. Adding a JB won't be an issue, if required. I just wanted to make sure radial wiring was the right method.

As for why, I like the subtle directed puddles of light in a bedroom as opposed to one or two man lights. These things are all a matter of preference though and I respect all will not share this :)

Your "JB" needs to have two attributes:

1. It needs to be accessible (like you can pull it through one of your downlight holes.

2. It must have cable clamps or restraints so the cables do not pull out.

These are made for the job.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

And, of course, the work should be carried out in accordance with Building Regulations.
For electrical work, this is Part P, but also B, C, E and L will come into play.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget part A either, if your holing joists!

As previous posts, there could be a combination of cables somewhere near or on the first light fitting, so you may have think about how you are going to configure these and comply to regulation, especially the ones concerning accessible joints/junctions for maintenance, inspection and testing.

Or alternatively the use of maintenance free methods!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back