downpipe drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes …

I have a drive drain at the front of my house, which drains into an ordinary square drain at one end, connected to the drains from the downpipes.
This is either blocked or broken, as it backs up and shoots out water during heavy rain, flooding the drive and my neighbour’s garden. The drain itself is clear of any blockages. It must be linked to the downpipes because the volume of water shooting out of it is way more than its capacity as a single drain. It’s the only open drain anywhere around the house.

I’m trying to work out the configuration of the drains from the downpipes around the house – see diagram:

drains.jpg

It’s an early 90s built detached house with downpipes on each corner (straight into the ground).
I’m not sure how the drive drain and the downpipe on the front left of the house might be linked, and I’m not sure whether the drain out to the road goes from this corner, or the other corner with the rodding point. The only manhole on the road is in line with the rodding point, but I don’t know if that’s relevant or not (my neighbours don’t have corresponding manholes).

The rodding point is difficult to access because it’s close to a fence – pretty much impossible to use rods.

Question is – is it likely to be a blockage near the drive drain - in case I think I’ll just need to dig it up to see what’s going on – or am I better off trying to get access to the rodding point (e.g. by removing a fence panel).

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Hi, You say the fall pipes go straight into the ground.... are you sure there not soak aways?

I had the same problem and dig down to investigate during this summer.... I found that the fall pipes were soakways, and were only piped away from the house by about half a meter....

I fixed the problem by adding normal grate to the fall pipes and extending the soak away to more than 2 meters away from the house, then dug out a nice big gravel filled soak away....

Could be worth a try...

PS i found the fall pipes were bunged up too, so washed them out with hose pipe... now they will not block up as there is flow to the grate and not to ground etc...

Hi - turns out the downpipes linked in to an underground drainage pipe that ended in a soakaway in the middle of my neighbours front lawn :eek:

New soakaway now dug (very amenable neighbour!) - just waiting for the next heavy shower to give it a decent test ...

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back